Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhody josephine, May 20, 2011.

1. rhody josephine

rhody josephine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Just picked up my babies yesterday. Six Barred Rock and six RI Red. My husband bought medicated feed for them. Is this okay? The feed store employee suggested it, but I'm not sure. They all seem to be warm and happy, eating and drinking well, and cute as a button. How old do they have to be before they can move outside? They are presently living in a bin in my sunroom. We are still building the coop. How long do we have to get it done??
    Thanks!

2. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Hello! And [​IMG] Medicated feed is fine for them [​IMG] it's what I feed mine, it is to help them build up a resistance to coccidosis, which can be fatal to chickens. To help build the resistance though, dig up a patch of sod from your yard for them to play on, the coccidosis may be in the ground and they need to be exposed to it to build a resistance. Make sure they have chick size grit before you do though (sand) because they will eat the grass [​IMG] Keep in mind that you probably don't have to worry about this though, just a precaution. Many people debat about medicated vs. Non medicated but for you just starting ou the medicated is fine! They can go outside probably by 4 weeks if your weather is warm. If the nights are cool you will want some supplemental heat. At 4 weeks old the temp should be in the mid to high 70's for them. Trust me, as cute as they are and as much as you will love them, by 4 weeks old you will be ready for them to go outside, the dust is horrible! If you go to the learning center here on BYC you will find most of the info you need. Also, in the little google search bar towards the top of the page you can search old threads where others have asked questions and you can almost always find the answer you are looking for [​IMG] though most people on here are always happy to answer any questions for you. Good Luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Oh, almost forgot! If you are building your coop, go on the coop section here at BYC and you can look at everyones coop to help get some ideas as well as learn what you will need in the coop for them. There are some very ingenious people on here! [​IMG]

4. rhody josephine

rhody josephine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Thank you! You've been helpful!

5. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Any time after six weeks the babies can move out. Medicated feed is great and will help with things that might make them sick. I feed it to my babies and they are doing great.

Good luck with your new babies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by