1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aquafuzz, Feb 22, 2012.

1. aquafuzz

aquafuzz New Egg

May 27, 2010
    First let me say what a blessing this has been for my children and family. Last spring we decided to raise chickens as a project for our children. We started with pair of black silkies then decided to get five full sized chickens of varying breeds. Shortly after we started the chicken project we decided to acquire two fainting goats and add them to the mix. Currently we have a small petting zoo in our backyard and it's fantastic.

On to my questions.

Our silkie hen has been sitting on a clutch of eggs (15 to be exact, this is a whole other story) for about a month now, most of the eggs are not hers. When the hatching takes place what should we expect from the rest of the chickens, roosters and hens? We plan on letting things happen as they may and not intervene.

What consideration do I need to make concerning feeding and tending to them?

Thank you for any and all help.

Please enjoy the pictures of our menagerie!

[​IMG]
    Peep(rooster), Toy(rooster), Chirpers, Barbara

[​IMG]
    Sparrow, Jack(rooster)

[​IMG]
    Buddy (2.5 months old)

[​IMG]
    Lilly (2 months old)

[​IMG]
    Buddy with Checkers hitching a ride.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Hatching should take place in 21 days, so if she's been sitting a month on those eggs, you might want to candle them - they're probably duds. Shine a flashlight into them in the dark. If you see clear light in the eggs, they are duds. They should look completely dark by now if a chick is developing.

Love the goat pics, I seriously want a milking goat or 2.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  3. aquafuzz

aquafuzz New Egg

May 27, 2010
    I say about a month, but my dates may be off. She kicked an egg out the other day and we cracked it and the chick that was inside was close to being fully formed (that egg was out in the cold over night) so with that we may be closer that we think.

4. chickenmanII

chickenmanII Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    If she is setting, she has decided the eggs (and chicks when they hatch) are hers. She will probably be very protective so no worries about the other chickens bothering them. She will take care of them and keep them safe. I do agree that you might want to candle them just to be sure that she is not sitting on dud eggs. I too like the goats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by