newbie questions...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by New chicken family, May 24, 2007.

1. New chicken family

New chicken family Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    Madison WI
    I just got a chick from a kindergarten class at my kids school. All I know is that it is a leghorn. If it (Sammy) is a he - when will he start to crow?
    Also - we have four 3 week old chicks - when can I put them together?
    And - I would like to put the 3 weekers out in the coop. We live in Wisconsin, where it has been 80 during the day and about 40-50 at night. If I use a 100 watt bulb at night will that be enough?

Thanks!
    Solvei

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    it depends on the age of the last chick. if they are all the same age, you can try putting them together now. no matter when you put chickens together, they have their swabbles. you have to watch them closely. what I do is put them in an area they can see each other with a fence between them. they get over an any differances after about a week and I remove the divider. you won't have any problems putting the older chicks in the coop now with the light. unless the coop is large, then you might add more lights. i only use a 60 watt bulb in a 12 x 16 coop even when it snows.

3. New chicken family

New chicken family Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    Madison WI
    The new baby is only 2 days old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by