Newbie questions

AliciaH

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 7, 2013
Hey y'all I am Alicia.
My family just got our first India Blue peacock (Peafowl) he is 9 weeks old and we don't know a lot about raising them but I fell in love with them about 5 years ago at a friends house they had them free roaming. The gentleman we got Mr. Peacock (as my 3 yr old call's him) said that he needs to be housed off the ground until next year......???? We also plan to get two females to house him with and we plan to get a trio of pied's and my question is how long do they need to be housed off ground and what is the best way to house them as little ones and adults (how big best materials separating one trio from the other etc). We just purchased our first home and we are in a residential neighborhood (neighbors do have a small farm) but I do not want them to just free roam as the front of our home is right on the road so I need to know the best and most comfortable way to house them! :) Thanks in advance!

No advice from anyone?
sad.png

I wish I could let mine free roam but our neighbors do have dogs that roam and I would hate to have one of my babes get hurt or worse
sad.png
... I guess my main question should really be do they need to be housed off ground at 9 weeks old and if so for how long

Do you have chickens or turkeys? most folks on here that keep their birds penned recommend keeping them off the ground because of blackhead and they can get that from chickens and turkeys, also bugs and worms carry it .
I raised up all my babies on the ground no problems but I guess it would just depend what is in your area and how wet the weather is at the time, i am a firm beliver that rain and heat day after day bred all kinds of nasty stuff, it is the time when i watch my flocks the closest.

I keep Peafowl (peacocks)
smile.png
Not sure if you meant actual chickens or turkeys lol

Last edited:
Turkeys and chickens can ingest a protozoa that cause blackhead and Peafowl and turkeys can die real fast from it if not caught very early which is hard if you never dealt with it cause peas are great at hiding illness and usually die within a day or two after we notice them ill.

Yes I have been reading up on that a lot. We used to have a few sugar gliders which are the same way as far as catching illness and not showing that they are sick until it's close to too late! I just want to make sure I know as much as I can on housing and what "no no's" on raising and caring for them. Also if anyone knows the main illnesses they get and what requires a vet or over the counter meds. I know all my questions are probably irritating to some BUT my main goal is the health and safety of my Peafowl! We dont get much rain and it's staying pretty cool (but not cold) here right now. I wanted to try and raise mine on ground but I am scared the man I bought him from just straight up said dont let him touch the ground at all until next July "he will die" but I have researched and researched and see even a lot of breeders raise there's on the ground so I guess I am confused and conflicted. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom