Newbie questions...

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
I just read a post about worming quail...? If this something that is totally necessary to do? how often do you do it? Whats the easiest way to do it? I'm clueless here.

What humidity should the incubator stay at for hatching quail?

Can I mix different flavors of quail in the same pen? Or will they interbreed? like putting A&M quail in the same pen as bobwhite.... or 3 different kinds together...??

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif

Good questions I am going to watch this one
old.gif

I have never heard of a Coturnix Bobwhite hybrid, but i believe it can happen rarely. I raise my Quail on the ground and have never had to worm them. and if you have the different varieties of Coturnix, they usually will interbreed

There is a hyrbid, its called a bob bird. People don't bother to breed them because honestly its really rough on the birds involved and the offspring are useless (sterile). They don't do anything better than any other type of quail. People have suggested they would make good release birds as they could not establish an invasive population. At the point that you do that you might as well have invested the time and effort into releasing quail that are natural to the area.

Humidity for all quail eggs is best at 50-55% during incubation and 70%ish at lockdown.

I don't recommend mixing quail species although many people do it. During mating season fowl can be very aggressive and this can easily lead to fights among your birds. If one bird bleeds the other birds in the cage will team up and kill it. They don't want it using up their resources trying to heal so they just dispatch it.

I do not treat my birds for anything that they are not infected with.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/841343/worming-quail/50
read Page 6 post 58

There is a hyrbid, its called a bob bird. People don't bother to breed them because honestly its really rough on the birds involved and the offspring are useless (sterile). They don't do anything better than any other type of quail. People have suggested they would make good release birds as they could not establish an invasive population. At the point that you do that you might as well have invested the time and effort into releasing quail that are natural to the area.

Humidity for all quail eggs is best at 50-55% during incubation and 70%ish at lockdown.

I don't recommend mixing quail species although many people do it. During mating season fowl can be very aggressive and this can easily lead to fights among your birds. If one bird bleeds the other birds in the cage will team up and kill it. They don't want it using up their resources trying to heal so they just dispatch it.

I do not treat my birds for anything that they are not infected with.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/841343/worming-quail/50
read Page 6 post 58

X2

Back
Top Bottom