Newbie! Right in my city downtown!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mamatoes, Feb 29, 2016.

1. mamatoes

mamatoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2016
    Ontario
    Hi!!

I'm so new to this! I've wanted chickens for years but finally convinced my husband. I'm supposed to get 2 ameraucana and 2 buff orpingtons March 13th as day olds. And then 2 barred rocks on the 29fh. I'm starting to freak out! I'm worried about predators. Like reading some posts has me scared. I want to be the best mama to these chicks as possible!

Any advice before we build our coop? I'm assuming since I'm in the downtown I'm only looking at cats and coons as predators.

Is it worth it? Should I stop worrying and just build the dang thing but take all the care to make it as safe as possible?

Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Depending upon where you are located, coyotes, fox and dogs may cause problems as well as hawks and GHO. Check out the coop section and build as well as you can, and hopefully all will be fine.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Dogs will be your biggest problem but coyote, owl, skunk, raccoon, hawks and humans are also on the list.

4. mamatoes

mamatoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2016
    Ontario
    The run will have hardware cloth all over it to protect from birds and prey. And coop will have a lock on it for night as I was a bit concerned about humans as well but praying people see it as a really awesome thing and just respect it.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. As Sourland suggests, the coop section is a good place to start, combined with the section "Predators and pests".

Good luck!

CT

6. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  7. RooDen

RooDen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2014
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]
    Predators like raccoons and cats will usually attack at night so build the coop so it is nice and protected. During the day though provide nice hideouts like bushes and/or some little woodens shades so the chickens can hide from the birds of prey. But for the moment just relax on keeping the day old chicks happy inside in their brooder box. Best of luck in chickeneering.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Many predators have adapted quite well to living among humans and benefit highly from it. Their major enemies are cars. Coyotes have been spotted all over the Chicago suburbs and even in downtown areas - so they are everywhere. If they thrive in Chicago, they can thrive anywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by