Newbie saying hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Zach O, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Zach O

Zach O New Egg

Dec 4, 2016
    Hey all! Thanks for accepting me. Me, my wife, and 16 mo old baby girl have a small 32 acre farm and also a small flock of 18 RIR's (2 roos and 16 beautiful ladies) and I decided it was time to join the group. Btw; We're also adding 30 barred rock chicks (27 hens and 3 roos) to our flock next week. We sale eggs locally here if y'all are wondering and we just enjoy having em [​IMG].

Now quick question....I've been raising chickens for a lil while now and the other day I acquired another roo and 4 hens from a local guy, RIR's as well. The roo has some spotting on his comb that concerns me a lil and one of the hens has a glassy/milky left eye. Mind ya now the guy I got em from had about 70 chickens total and maybe 10 roos in the bunch. So I was wondering if ya guys think that spotting on my new roo might be fowl pox or maybe just fighting or something? And maybe the hen is just blind in that eye due to possibly getting pecked or possibly something else. I have all the new birds quarantined right now and I've been observing em. They're around the 8 month old range. I planned to keep em quarantined for 2 weeks at least and see how they do. My other flock is pretty healthy and I sure dont wanna start anything I'll regret. I'm sure there's a better place to post this question but I need some help quick. Thanks in advance. I took pictures as best as I could for y'all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sounds like your flock is growing by leaps and bounds!

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!!!

5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi there and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Zach O [​IMG] Welcome!

Having a flock which comprises 5 pampered bantams, 18 RIR’s is not small in my book [​IMG]

I am not as experienced as others as to what ails chickens and as CTKen has suggested, you should get some good advice or peace of mind on the Emergencies and Diseases forum.

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think it would be prudent to increase the quarantine to 4 weeks - pending what the ER folks say, and just because, they could be contagious.

32 acres sounds huge to me.

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by