1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newbie seeking advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by landonjacob25, Mar 22, 2015.

1. landonjacob25

landonjacob25 New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Hello everyone.. about two weeks ago after i purchased six baby pullets from our local feed supply store after developing an interest in my grandfathers adult flock. I purchased two white layers, two road island reds and two production reds and setup a basic indoor brooder with a heat lamp running 24/7. When the weather permits i let them spend a few hours in their outdoor pen. Im wondering how old these chicks are and when they can do without the heat lamp at night.. and also how lond before they can be moved to their outdoor coop. Im loving the personality of these birds, my grandfather says thy are doing great. They have nearly doubled in size in two weeks and are starting to get calm around me and come up to me acting curious.. any tips on taming for people friendly adult birds? any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you..

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. landonjacob25

landonjacob25 New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    just got the pic things down on the mobile. heres a few to help..
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. landonjacob25

landonjacob25 New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

They need there heads feathered completely before they can be without a light. If you have the capacity to put them in a coop alone with a heat lamp then you can if you feel comfortable with it. As for the age you can figure they are probably around as old as when you bought them from TSC since there chicks sell quickly, this year especially they have been selling out within hours of being in the store in our area.

5. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    To me they look close to 3 weeks, depending on where you live as well would help to determine if they can go outside soon. I live in Georgia and we have had pretty warm weather and I put my chicks in their coop at about 5 weeks old with a heat lamp for the first couple nights then switched to a white light after that. They have been doing great and I am sure they enjoy the extra room. Beautiful flock btw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by