1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie - Several questions related to Sickness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ParadiseChickens, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ParadiseChickens

ParadiseChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I have only had chickens a couple of months now. I started with 8 and 4 died after about 6 weeks. One was dying a week and I never did find out exactly what caused it. I treated with Sulmet. The 4 remaining seem very energetic, eating and pooping well. It has been almost 3 weeks since any died so hopefully whatever the sickness was is over but I am still of course learning and trying to do what is right for them. I do have several questions that I cant seem to find the correct answer for, maybe on here but widespread. Please help with any if you can.

1. Do feeding mealworms themselves cause worms in the chickens?

2. My chickens have the usual TSC red and white plastic waterer (which I hate) and I am trying out a 10" round dish (about 4" high) as a waterer and they drink very well from it but like to stand on the edge and poop sometimes gets in the water. I change it which I find that but wondered if drinking from it before I can change it will cause disease?

3. I read on a post here that one of the signs of cocci in the chickens is hearing them make the "cocci thrill sound". I find nothing to substantiate that in all my reading. Is that true or just a particular persons idea?

4. My chickens are constantly scratching themselves with their foot especially around the head. I have dusted them with poultry dust and will do a followup treatment but wondered if this scratching is just normal chicken behavior or is it indicative of a problem?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    1. Do feeding mealworms themselves cause worms in the chickens?

THEY CAN, IF THE WORMS ARE INFECTED WITH THE PARASITES WHICH CAUSE WORMS.

2. My chickens have the usual TSC red and white plastic waterer (which I hate) and I am trying out a 10" round dish (about 4" high) as a waterer and they drink very well from it but like to stand on the edge and poop sometimes gets in the water. I change it which I find that but wondered if drinking from it before I can change it will cause disease?

YES IT CAN, BUT ONLY IF YOUR CHICKENS OR THE WILD BIRDS ARE DISEASED. SNEAZING AND OTHER BODY FLUIDS WILL SPREAD DISEASE TOO. AVOID THIS BY POURING A LITTLE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR IN THE WATER EACH TIME YOU CHANGE THE WATER.

3. I read on a post here that one of the signs of cocci in the chickens is hearing them make the "cocci thrill sound". I find nothing to substantiate that in all my reading. Is that true or just a particular persons idea?

SAY WHAT?! COCCI CAUSES ICKY POOP. A QUICK SEARCH WILL GIVE YOU WAAAAAAAAY MORE PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE THAN YOU EVER, EVER NEEDED.

4. My chickens are constantly scratching themselves with their foot especially around the head. I have dusted them with poultry dust and will do a followup treatment but wondered if this scratching is just normal chicken behavior or is it indicative of a problem?

GO OUT AT NIGHT WITH A FLASHLIGHT AND LOOK AT THE BASE OF THE FEATHER SHAFT FOR MITES. IF YOU DON'T SEE ANYTHING, DON'T WORRY. WHEN YOU GET AN ITCH, YOU GOTTA SCRATCH IT.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. ParadiseChickens

ParadiseChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Does anyone else have anything to offer. Not that I dont appreciate this answer that I got but would like to hear from others especially if you have anything else. Also how much ACV per gallon of water?

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Scientific answer: Two glub blubs per large waterer. One glub for small ones. Really big waterers may need three or four.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by