Newbie sick hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dfalca, Jan 8, 2017.

1. dfalca

dfalca New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Hello forum
    Been on the site for a year or so. Great site! I have 3 hens and one has an eye infection and seems sick. The other hens were trying to beat her up when she was laying down. I am treating the eye w a antibiotic and have separated her. Is there anything else I can do?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Maybe giving vitamin supplements/ electrolytes will help boost her immune system. It seems quite serious if others are picking on her and could be a symptom of a respiratory illness. I'd suggest posting on the ER forum for the best advice - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

Try to include as much detail as possible and some pics if you can.

Good luck
    CT

3. dfalca

dfalca New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Thank you! Will try to give her some extra nutrients. Do the other chickens realize she's on her death bed? Natural selection then takes over?

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

When chickens sense one of their own is weak, they will go after them. That's one reason why separating the ill bird from the rest is a good idea (and also to try to prevent the spread of illness to the rest of the flock).

I hope you someone on the ER forum can give you some help, best of luck!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    chicken society can appear brutal, but yes, if they recognise sickness they will try and exclude / eliminate that particular chicken from the flock.

ETA: NFC's post did not show before I posted - hence the repetition- apologies

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That happens, especially when "great minds think alike" lol!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, dfalca, and :welcome! Great to have you with us! You've already received some great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under dfalca [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope that your gal is OK.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. dfalca

dfalca New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Thank you! It had been fun but feel bad for this gal. Hopefully she gets some strength to eat and drink. The little fluids I have been administering has vitamins and nutrients in it

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Will she eat watermelon, that would get some fluid into her. She may also accept scrambled eggs, warmed oatmeal. Sometimes if you hand feed, an ill bird will decide to take it from you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by