Newbie Silkie Mom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dianer29, Aug 31, 2009.

1. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I just received my Silkies and they shipped from mainland. I live in The Big Island Hawaii. Does anyone have informaion on how to do things right as I would be so upset to lose my little girls.? Two did not make it ,probably the long hard journey. I have been really diligent on their upkeep so far and socializing them as well. It is so true that the ones I held to care for when they needed it are calmer if you will. I read so much info about predators and proper coops and nutrition I am overwhelmed .lol. It rains over 100 inches a year here in the tropics so I will be getting a metal roof intalled on coop I just purchased as well as gutters. Our day temp average in mid 80's yr round and mid 60's nighttime. I have started a binder to keep their information altogether. Anyone have advice on coops placed over lava,there is co making that go away..lol Diane

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    No worries. Sounds like you are doing just fine.
    PS. My silkies love the rain!

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

[​IMG]
    Sounds like you are off to a great start!

My silkies also dont mind the rain. DD cracks up over their wet heads. They look awful...lol.

And... [​IMG] from Southwest Virginia!

4. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    Silkies are so funny to watch! :lol
    I think mine also like the rain. And yes, their wet little heads are hilarious! They look gelled back hehe. [​IMG]

Congrats on your fuzzy chickies and good luck! Seems like they have a good home. [​IMG]

Oh! And welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  5. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] from sunny FLorida. One of the most important things to remember is they cannot fly so keep them in something predator proof. Keep their feed & water fresh and provide a probiotic and vits & electrolytes. Check them once a month for mites or lice. Mine love to be held and cuddled. They will make you a good friend!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by