1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie - sure I will have lots of questions :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by flnatv, Apr 8, 2011.

1. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    We have recently gotten 6 little baby chicks (4 black sex-linked pullets, 2 yellow????)
    I have horses, dogs, cats, hamsters, chinchillas, bearded dragons among a few other living odds and ends [​IMG]
    I just wanted to say hello and hope to get tons of expert advice from all of you.

The reasoning behind getting the chicks is to help with pest control and of course the benefit of fresh eggs.
    Currently they are living in the bathtub and plan to do what I have read about decreasing the temp until they get to room temp.
    We take them out daily into a pen in the yard for them to peck around, but will modify either the tack room or the spare stall for them to use as a coop.

I know NOTHING at this point other than to make sure they are on chick starter with clean food and water, non-slippery surface, and of course the temp thing. Any advice for a newbie that is a must.... please feel free to tell me. If I do something wrong... please correct me... I teach school (Biology) and made mistakes and am misinformed and do not mind a (or many) corrections.

Neely

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

4. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas!
    I converted half my tack room into my coop, and it has worked so well. It's nice to have them close by, and I feel that having them free range in the horse pasture is a good deterrent to predators. Stray dogs don't dare come near my horses [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. You forgot one thing, A lot of LOVE. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by