Newbie temp. question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kbrun, Mar 24, 2011.

1. kbrun

kbrun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    I've got an LG styrofoam incubator that I plan to use one a year to hatch chicks at school. It seems that the temp fluctuates, a lot. Like from 96 to 102 and I haven't changed a thing. Is this normal? Pretty hard to keep it at 100 when it changes so much. HELP!

2. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i have a hovabator that i am having the same issues with. temp was stable for 3 days before i put the eggs in then it went wonky and hasn't really gotten better. i am doubtful that any will hatch. good luck with yours

3. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    What kind of environment is the bator in?

Drafty from movement or doors/windows?
    Is it getting direct sunlight?

Any big air movement changes can cause a drop in temp and sunlight can make it skyrocket.

Also what kind of thermometer are you using? Hopefully not the one that it came with as those have proven to be off and not reliable.

4. Emmalion

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Also you might want to try some heat sinks. You can search the forums for ideas But you can use clean rocks or jars of water to help keep the temp stable.

My next run I am going to be using 1000cc bags of normal saline that I got from work. Might as well use them seeing they are expired [​IMG]

5. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Im not any help but I will be setting eggs Sunday and it is my first time! Im trying to educate myself as much as possible to hopefully give myself at least a shot at something hatching! haha... where in your opinions is the best place in the house to keep the bator during the incubation period? I know somewhere with little temperature fluctuations but can anyone give me a couple great ideas that i may not come up with? thanks in advance!!!
    kaitlyn

6. Emmalion

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Anywhere that is free of drafts / direct sunlight / and crazy temp swings. Do you have a closet that no one is using? That might be a good place.

7. kbrun

kbrun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    I'm grateful for any help. I understand that I would have better results with a more expensive bator. Problem is I only do 1 hatch a year and the school doesn't pay for the incubator. As long as the temp doesn't get too high (102+), how much a variant of temps is going to be OK?

8. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Wow! We are doomed then! [​IMG] Our whole house is a draft. The only closet that I have that isn't used doesn't have electric and it is colder than the rest of the house. [​IMG] Oh well, at least we are trying for something. [​IMG]

9. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Emmalion's right in everything they said, did you read their posts? I'm confused by your latest post because no one mentioned a more expensive incubator.

If you have someplace where you can put the bator that doesn't change temps around it, the inside temp of your bator won't change either. I have a styrofoam incubator as well, and of all the places I tried to put it, the floor of my closet works best so far because the temp in there is very constant. A bathroom or closet or other small space will most likely stop that flux.

I'd also agree and recommend finding a few smooth rocks outside, cleaning them very well, and putting them in with your eggs. These will take on the temperature the incubator is set for (say you set it for 100, they will hold that temp) and if it goes higher, they will be slower to heat, thereby cooling the bator if the temp rises, and they will be slower to cool, heating the incubator if your temp drops.

Be careful putting in jars of water instead of rocks- make sure the lids are on them if you decide to use those instead.

As for the temp flux... I'm not sure anyone can really say. Any flux from the normal temp may or may not cause problems with the eggs.

10. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Easiest fix if you have no actual room free of drafts, is to make a room around the bator. A cardboard box to put it in, or a card table draped with a blanket... A lot of people have those things or can get them pretty easy. We had my bator stashed under the computer desk in the foot area, and draped a blanket over it once!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by