Newbie that needs help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Vince008, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Vince008

Vince008 New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    City Of Brotherly Love
    Greetings

I have been doing aquaponics for about 4 years now and decided to start raising my own chickens. I know that i would like to start out with Rhode Island reds about 5 of them. I need help on where to purchase them? Should i have them vaccinated? Any suggestion?

Thank Vincent

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Vincent. I don't think many people get chicks that are vaccinated. If you mean for Marek's I think that has to be done about day 1-2. It doesn't protect them from getting it but, think it would be a bit milder .

4. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

RIR's are a fairly common breed and should be available at just about any of the online hatcheries. Not all online hatcheries require a large minimum of 15-25, some hatcheries will sell in smaller quantities (like MyPetChicken). I like to get the Marek's vaccine for chicks just to give them that little edge of protection. The chicks you find at feed stores may or may not have been given the vaccine, you'd have to ask them.

Good luck with your introduction to chicks, raising chickens is a very rewarding and fun hobby (and the eggs are great too)!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by