Newbie to butchering question.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by NYRIR, Jan 5, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi...was wondering..I have at least 4 roos to cull.They're RIR's and RIR x's.They were born last spring so are they going to be tough? Everyone says if they molted..they'll be tough.Any ideas on this? Thanks

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, they will be tough, but there are a lot of different methods to tenderize them out. (stewpot, pounding the meat, letting it sit out, etc)

The best age to cull in my opinion is around 5-6 months, but of course you'd need a good enough bird (non-production bred) in order to get enough meat at that age.

3. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Ok..Mine are 2 production reds and 2 barnyard reds.I heard people say to cull around that age but they seemed small to me.When you say "letting it sit out"..what do you mean? and for how long?

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Let the bird sit in the fridge for 2-3 days. That is called resting.

5. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Remember to never let an older bird cook to more than 180!! If you do it wont matter if it falls off the bone, the meat will still have an edge of toughness. I made this mistake. [​IMG]

6. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Definately put them in the refrigerator for a few days to rest. Even young broilers are better when you do this. A fresh killed chicken can be tough when you cook it.

Lisa

7. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Never leave them in the fridge for more than 4 days. Also keep them covered or they will pick up any odors in the fridge.

I know we all keep our friges clean. But the kids do spill and forget to tell us.

Slow cooked at low temps. Also a good brine can help.

just my .02

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  9. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Wow..thanks for the suggestions...I'm hoping to be able to have DH butcher this weekend.I definitely can't do the deed myself but would need to be here to make sure he gets the right ones!I may be able to help eventually,but for me..even letting him do it is an amazing feat!

10. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    Brine them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by