newbie to byc

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by deesgirls, Jan 26, 2013.

1. deesgirls

deesgirls New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    Wrexham
    Hello to everyone , I am new to this site and look forward to hearing from you all.i am worried about my girls as this is the first time they have been in snow, and I have only been keeping chickens for about 15 months . I have a warren a blackrock and a white starling. Normandy in the morning when they hear me coming they all run to me very noisily looking forward to thier feed . But today I found them in the green house and they didn't make a sound or come to me when I called . I took thier fresh water and fed to enclosure and they still didnt come . I gathered them up and put them in pen and they ignored it and went in cope . I then put the feed and water in cope and only one started drinking the other to just sculked in the bag . Is there something wrong ? Many thanks

2. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Welcome to the site :) so sorry to hear about your girls :( I don't have the answer but is a little space heater not possible?

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, deesgirls, and [​IMG]! Good to have you with us! Snow is not something chickens like very much. If this is their first snow they may just be a little spooked by it - that's the way it was for mine this year when they saw their first snow - they just holed up in the coop like the world was coming to an end. If you can scoop an area clear for them they will come out and investigate and slowly get used to their winter wonderland. Good luck to you!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC. Hope your girls are better with the snow today

6. starfliker

starfliker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    I don't let my chickens out in the winter that much but when I do they run out the door and then run back in  but if u only have 3 chickens I would bring a heating lamp up  good luck with your chickens 

7. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

8. deesgirls

deesgirls New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    Wrexham
    Thank you all for ur welcome and advice I will look into a heater for them .I do want to get more chickens as there only 3 and I love keeping my girlie's take care all x

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by