Newbie to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by carrierose, Feb 22, 2014.

1. carrierose

carrierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Keno, OR
    Hi. I am Carrierose. I have only had chickens for about 11 months. My husband & I really enjoyed watching our neighbor's chickens and their crazy antics and wanted some of our own. Our neighbor gave us seven of her hens and one rooster. I wanted more so I purchased a few chicks here and a few chicks there. Then I took a head count and wow! I had 22 chicks and a total of 30 chickens. Time to quit!! Our rooster is a beautiful green, tan, & brown Ameraucana. The hens are as follows: 3 Ameraucana, 2 Barred Rock. 2 Golden Sexlink, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 7 Black Australorps, 1 Polish mix (I think anyway. She has a topknot that has to be kept trimmed so she can see) and 3 older hens that I have no clue what they are. Two of the hens are quite special, one of the Buffs and a Rhode Island Red. Every time I go into the coop or chicken yard they are right at my feet & won't leave me alone until I pick them up and love on them. In fact, the Buff unties my shoes if I ignore her for very long.

Our chicken coop is quite unique. We were given an old truck camper that we were going to repair and use when we traveled. The deeper we got into it the more damage we found and decided it was unsafe to travel with so we gutted it and turned it into the coop. The chickens have 112 square feet of living space inside their camper-coop. I hope I have not overcrowded the coop with 30 chickens. The chicken yard is an odd triangular shape measuring approximately 45' x 50' x 46' x 6'. We hope to double this in the spring to give them more room.

My husband & I will soon celebrate 37 years of marriage. We have 2 grown children, a daughter & a son, 1 son-in-law and 2 absolutely awesome grandchildren. We have 3 dogs & 2 cats to go along with the chickens. Unfortunately, we cannot let the dogs & chickens run together. We have already had one incident where the dogs killed one of the neighbor's chickens when it came into our yard & I won't let that happen again if I can help it. My husband works in a door factory sizing the fiberglass doors and enjoys working on his cars in his spare time. I am a consultant with Arbonne International selling fantastic health & wellness products. I enjoy sewing, gardening, my critters and spending time with the family.

Our daughter also has chickens and told us about BackYardChickens.com but I didn't think to much about it at the time. Our chickens are having issues with mites and cannibalism so I googled this and low and behold there was the website for Back Yard Chickens. I went into the website & did a search for cannibalism and found someone who is having the same problem with her chickens. I decided to join so I could respond to her and hopefully get some help for my chickens. I am using diatomaceous earth in the nesting boxes and in the bedding on the floor & under the roost for the mites. I put duct tape on the backs of the hens that have no feathers and use the Rooster Booster Pick-No-More on the areas that duct tape won't go. I have also recently changed their food to the Nutrena Feather Fixer pellets in the hopes of feather regrowth. This has been going on since last fall and egg production is almost nil. I am getting a bit frustrated because this has gone on for so long and nothing seems to be working. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. SILKIEOBESSESED

SILKIEOBESSESED Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    fl
    I have learned everything i know about chickens here. People at byc are always happy to answer questions or chat about their own chicken stories. We are all glad you`ve joined. [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Long thread with various reasons why chickens aren't laying https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers
    With the mites, DE won't work if you already have an infestation, you'll have to use some sort of chemical controls. Check out the articles in the Learning Center for suggestions.
    The feathers should regrow when the hens molt again (and the mites and feather picking are under control)... if you are having a lot of feather picking problems, pinless peepers (especially if you know which hens are the trouble makers) or hen saddles for the bald ones might be something to consider to put a stop for now. Try to keep them entertained so they have other things to do besides picking on each other, put in a bale of hay or leaves etc, hang cabbage or other veggies, free range as much as possible etc. The feather fixer is a little higher in protein than layer, but you could try upping it a little more using chick starter etc. Sounds like you have a neat coop, nice Learning Center article on space requirements https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Kelsie has some good information on why chickens turn on each other. Read thru those threads and follow the advice. :)

Good luck with your flock and enjoy BYC!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

If you have seen mites, you will have to treat them with something to kill the mites - DE will not do this - and probably your coop as well. Try this site:

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chickens should have 4 sg.feet per bird inside the coop and 10 sg.feet in the outdoor run. If chickens are crowded they turn to fighting, feather picking and cannibalism. If you are in an area with severe weather - where they probably have been kept in the coop for long periods, that just increases the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by