1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie to chicken raising

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eggnewbie, Jun 25, 2016.

1. eggnewbie

eggnewbie New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Hi, everyone. I am completely clueless on any thing to do with chickens. I am so happy to have found this site to gain much needed knowledge, before we begin our journey with raising them.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! You sure have come to the right place for all the chicken knowledge :D
    Have you checked out the learning Center? Lots of super articles there that will really help you out. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Do you have a timescale for getting your chicken adventures started? Wishing you the very best of luck and be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help you along the way.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC, enjoy the journey! With the help of your new chickens, you will earn your poultry degree right here. It's going to be more rewarding than you can imagine. We'll look forward to seeing pics of your chicks!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think you will enjoy it as much as we do.

5. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi; glad you joined BYC. I joined last fall and did all kinds of reading before my first chicks arrived in the spring. They are about 7 weeks old now, and so far so good. The only concern I had early on was some pasty butt in week one. It was unseasonably cold here, below freezing every night. I added extra heat to the brooder and learned to wash chicken bums! Since then, all are hale and hearty (and a little bit bratty). The members here are really helpful, so I know you will make a great success of your poultry project.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to our community. I wish you all the best in your impending chicken-keeping adventure.

CT

7. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi welcome to BYC! Hope you like it here, cya around sometime :)

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. kindofodd

kindofodd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2016
    I'm with you there. Joined BYC in prep for chickens next spring. So much good advice here on ANY question you may come up with. Welcome aboard!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by