Newbie to chickens - Chicken Tractor Build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fordee7, Feb 15, 2013.

1. fordee7

fordee7 New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    Although I am a new BYC member, I've been poaching (can I use that word on here? :) ) ideas from all of you on here for a couple months. I've put it all together into a new Chicken Tractor Coop. I thought I'd give back a little for all that I've gotten from this great resource. I don't have any plans to share unfortunately since it all just came from my head, then to chicken scratch on paper, then to the saw.

We had 4 chickens: Big Mama, Chicken Little, Penguin and Crow. Unfortunately, Crow was checking out the coop during build and the wind blew a board over on her - RIP Crow! We are now down to 3. Crow gets the honor of being my kids first pet to be buried in the backyard.

The main ideas used in this build is:

1. Gravity fed water using poultry nipples attached to 3/4" PVC running to 5 gallon bucket.
    2. Gravity fed feeder using 3" PVC drain pipe.
    3. Poop board under perch with Sweet PDZ.
    4. One-piece linoleum sheet floor (also linoleum under sweet pdz and inside nest boxes)
    5. Polycarbonate corrugated roofing to keep the weight of the coop to a minimum.

I am not and have never been a carpenter or in construction. However, my father taught me how to 'do it yourself'. His mantra: 'If you want it done right, you've got to do it yourself'. Thanks Dad!

I have about 80 - 100 hours into it and ~$450 - $500. Everything bought at Home Depot.

Here are some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dan2

dan2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    That is awesome craftmanship.

3. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    Lucky chicks[​IMG]

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Stunning!

5. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    that's beautiful work

6. fordee7

fordee7 New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks for the compliments. The wife and kids like it. The chickens are still trying to gain their coordination to go up and down the ladder. Hopefully they figure it out so I don't have to modify it. I figure i all give them a couple weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by