newbie to chickens. fell in love with rare breed!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GoldApps, May 19, 2016.

1. GoldApps

GoldApps Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2016
    Missouruh
    Hi!

I bought 8 baby chicks about weeks ago. Black barred. I was stressed out because the hatchery gave me 9. I aid for 8. The messages was clear: I got a mulligan one will die. Either because I'm an obvious newbie or there's always a runt.

Well all my ladies are still alive!

So the rare ones... I bought some golden spangled appenzeller spitzhauben! And 2 silver. Hope for a roo.

I'll probably outmode the barred one day. But they're my layers.

Gold roos are just so gorgeous. They are straight run only so I'll have to keep buying them in case they're all female ha.

Barred love their brooder but I read that appys love flying and free ranging. So I hope free range is fine for my pullets who love being in.

Hubby and I are building what looks like a luxury suite for them! Almost done. It's on wheels but we'll remove them once we figure out if we are doing free range or run style.

We have twin cats that do not attack since they only like to attack things about 1/10th their size. They are still technically kittens and turn one in July. Hopefully their good behavior keeps up. They are great mousers (so no getting into the feed) and when I let the hens out they peck ticks. Even off the cats paw. So hopefully they realize how symbiotic they are.

Wish me luck!

I've lost 0 out of 14 yay.

My nearest neighbor is about a quarter mile away. Out front yard is 2 acres, backyard 3, 35 acres of forest behind that. They won't go into the forest right? Cross the neighbors barb wire line.

No fence just the wire marking property line.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us and congrats on your new flock. In the absence of critter-proof fencing, maybe free ranging is not the best way forward. Maybe reading up on the "predators and pests" forum will give you an idea of what members do to protect their flocks.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread, who can further advise what has worked for them.

All the best
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They will go into the forest, if they feel like it and everywhere else unless they are fenced in. Not only are they great targets for predators, but humans may also find them too attractive to pass up.

4. GoldApps

GoldApps Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2016
    Missouruh
    Uh humans still steal chickens?

What yeeear is it?!?!

I would put them in the back. I hope they can be happy! I know my black barred love being cooped up. I wand my gold happy too.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by