Newbie to Chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NineAndCounting, Jun 27, 2016.

1. NineAndCounting

NineAndCounting Just Hatched

Jun 26, 2016
    Been lurking here for a while and decided I need to jump in and learn more about my chickens! I have so many questions and I'm ready to learn! Right now I have 2 Australorps, 2 golden sexlinks (one of which may be a rooster???), and 1 buff that I got at 2 days old. They are all now almost 4 months old. Yesterday I added 4 more hens to the mix, 1 coochin, 2 barred rocks and 1 that I'm not sure of. The newest 4 are laying and this morning I had my first egg in my coop!!! I'm unsure whether I should take it, or leave it to encourage more to lay.... I'm sure it's been fertilized... What do I do? Thanks!!

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    they will lay when they need too.
    you can post some photos of the chickens you're not sure of in the ''what breed or gender is this'' forum

3. NineAndCounting

Jun 26, 2016
    Awesome! Thank you! I'm so excited to enjoy fresh eggs and I'm loving seeing my chicken's getting personalities. Who knew!!? Haha

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

you will soon not be able to imagine how you could've lived without your chickens!
    i can't imagine not hearing their clucking and seeing them having a good time! chickens you raise will all around be happy birds!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would remove the egg- if it hangs around too long, it may get broken & the hens discover how good the inside tastes.

What do you want to do? One of your hens may go broody (you can't Make them do it) and you could put eggs under her - that's the easy way, if she will accept them. Otherwise you would need an incubator and to read up on hatching and incubation.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. NineAndCounting

Jun 26, 2016
    Thanks everyone! I removed the egg and as soon as I get another one I'll be cracking them open! So excited for fresh eggs. I've never had them!

9. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    [​IMG] Congrats on your first egg! You will definitely be able to tell the difference from store-bought eggs they are so much richer in color and more flavorful! Thanks for joining us on BYC, and always feel free to ask any questions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by