Newbie to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Labradors, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Labradors

Labradors Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2017
    ON, Canada
    I've always wanted to raise chickens and this year it looks as if it's going to happen!

I hope to start off with two or three and see how it goes. I wonder how they will get along with the dawgs.....

Linda

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Linda, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I love labs, too! That's mine in my avatar. He and my other pooch (a golden retriever) completely ignore the chickens. Here's a link to an article you might find useful:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-your-dog-to-chickens-tips-tricks
    If you are a newbie to chickens you might like to take a tour of the Learning Center and check out some of the great informative articles within. It will set you up to be a successful chicken keeper. Here's the link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And if you'd like to chat with some "local" poultry folks, find your state thread in this link and say howdy:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

3. Labradors

Mar 18, 2017
    ON, Canada
    Hi Redsoxs,

Love your Avatar :) Many thanks for the links which I will read.

I am lucky to have a friend who keeps chickens who lives close by, so I can pick her brains when necessary, but I obviously want to learn as much as I can about them.

I'm interested in good egg-layers, and the dogs will enjoy some quality eggs too, so hopefully, they will all get along :)

Linda

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Linda [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. Labradors

Mar 18, 2017
    ON, Canada
    Thanks Teila. I'll be sure to share pictures once I get my flock. I'm a keen gardener, and am looking forward to sharing extra veggies with the chickens this summer :)

Linda

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Whoopee another dog person [​IMG] Great to meet you Linda, hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by