Newbie to chicks and ducks

Chicky Duck Man

In the Brooder
May 27, 2018
Hi All,
New to keeping chickens a bit more seriously, have had a couple of bantams in the past before the damn foxes had 'em, these kinda got me hooked.
At the moment I have 3 chickens, not sure what type they are! never got told so trying to find out from source. 1 is black with a little brown in it - dark brown egg, 2 light brown/fawn/whitey - light brown/white egg and the 3rd is a brown colour with a bluey type of egg.
I have got to pick up 2 more and these are Sussex chickens, along with these, been given 2 Cayuga ducks, any info/books etc on these would be appreciated as never kept poultry before.
Will try to get some pictures of these to share.

:welcome
:frow:frow:frow

Really good, ventilated, shelter. Proper feed. And clean water! Ducks need to be able to dunk their heads in their water to clean their nares and eyes. Something like a small bucket works just fine. You will need to change it at least twice daily. Once in the am and once in the pm. I keep an extra bucket handy so I can just swap out the clean for the dirty and rotate them out.

I'm a little jealous of the Cayuga! They are so beautiful. Here we currently have a Rouen pair and some lovely Pekins, also a lone Khaki Campbell I inherited as a rescue. Good Luck and congrats on the new birds!!!

7FD2DC7A-2AA9-4336-A90A-8982447DA297.jpeg
Does anyone have an idea whether this 3 month old Silkie is a Hen or a Roo?

I am new to being a chicken owner. My husband came home with 10 baby chicks that were 1 day old. He has various types but really lucked up and got 9 hens and one of the Barred Rocks is a Roo. Our flocks are for eggs and pets only. We may hatch a few eggs once they start laying and keep a few ourselves and to give a few away. I enjoyed taking care of them while in the brooder and once they graduated to the outside pen and coop. I decided that I wanted a few of my own, so I went to tractor supply and got me 4 Bantams. I thought they would all be Silkies, but it turn out that only 2 are Silkies. I am thinking the other 2 may be Cochin Bantams. They are almost ready to graduate from the larger brooder in the garage to the outside coop and run, which will be separate from my husband 10. I have read and read on how to sex my Silkies, but have had no luck trying to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom