Newbie to chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lbwaddle, Oct 23, 2014.

1. lbwaddle

lbwaddle Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Denton, Texas
    How will I know my hens are ready to start laying? They were born in July 2014

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Mine were born in July two!

I read that their comb should redden. What type of chicks do you have? If it is a productive layer breed, then they should start between 4-6 (or 5-6) months old. If they are not a productive laying breed like silkies, they should start towards the end of 6 months old.

3. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    When your pullets reach point of lay (POL), they will be red in the face, wattles and comb (Almost sunburned looking) and may or may not squat for you if you approach them. With my first flock, I reached in to pet my Black Sex Link and she immediately squatted! You'll be in no doubt what they are doing when they squat for you. Keep in mind that different breeds start at different times and the production breeds tend to start around 18 -20 weeks, sometimes sooner. I would say yours will probably start in late November or December. Mine are getting ready to lay and they were purchased as 3 day old chicks in early June.

4. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Most hens start laying between 16-24 weeks old. Their combs will turn a darker red. A hen that has reached sexual maturity will squat submissively to allow the rooster to mate with her some hens will do that if you reach out to pet them. I have read that you can tell by feeling their pelvic bones to see if they have separated or not but I have never tried it.

5. traceyj

traceyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Only really helps if you know for certain
    1. How old they are
    2. What breed they are.

I'm still waiting for my 6 to start laying three if them were supposed to be Pol when I bought them in August, three others supposed to be Pol in early oct when I bought them.

Can only conclude the chicken hatchets I've bought from either lied or didn't know their flock.

One day I'll have eggs!!

6. Peeps61

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Quote:Yes, you will! It's hard to wait though, isn't it?

7. traceyj

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    I wouldn't mind but I have 9 chickens and since my TWO layers went into moult I'm eating store eggs. Ugh!

8. Peeps61

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Yes, I'm hoping I won't have to do that. I have 18 in the fridge now, will use at least 12-15 of those this weekend. RIR is laying about 5-6 per week and BO's are molting. So, hopefully the new girls will start laying and pick up the slack or store bought eggs are on the near horizon :-(.

9. traceyj

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Two cuckoo marans are in moult, one black maran has never laid, three buff orpies must be nearing 6 months old now! And three assorted ees it's anyone's guess they were starving when I got them and have bulked up quite a bit but no sign of eggs.
    Bloody freeloaders ;)

10. Peeps61

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    LOL! My BO's were the LAST to start laying out of my flock of 9. One ended up being a rooster and the other 8 hens all started at different times. My BSL and my RIR's were the first and best producers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by