Newbie to cortunix questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quailraiser22, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Quailraiser22

Quailraiser22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    North east oklahoma
    Im going to buy quail off craigslist currently 6 weeks old i have built a pen and have the right feed. how many males and females should i get? Is regular 24% protein game bird feed enough? should i put them under a heat lamp in the winter?

2. Yes 24 should be ok... heat lamp? well since not many people put their location in their profile, hard to say...

3. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    the less males the better because they will fight, as long as there's a bunch of females and they have enough room, you can run more than 1 male in with them, males will crow and hens will lay millions of eggs LOL

4. Quailraiser22

Sep 10, 2012
    North east oklahoma
    Alright so i can run 2 males and 8 hens ? i have a big crate with a door to an outside fence attached

5. oktx

oktx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    I have 2 3' x 9' colonies of coturnix with 2 males and 7-8 females each. They all get along great and they have plenty of room to roam, peck at dirt, take dust baths and do normal quail stuff. Right now I'm only getting 3-6 eggs a day because many of my females are still young as well as I purchased them from a place where they were extremely stressed, being about 70 birds in a pen about 3' x 3' :( I can't even imagine how someone can allow such deplorable conditions. Those females were so stressed and pecked that many came almost completely defeathered. I mostly only bought them to rescue them from the horrible conditions they were in.

6. Quailraiser22

Sep 10, 2012
    North east oklahoma
    Yeah,thats awful glad to got them to a better place. anyways the people i was going to buy the quail from today are out of town until tomorrow i think ill get 8 hens and 2 males they have will have a lot of space and i built an outside pen for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by