Newbie to ducks with a couple of questions, no emergency.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hen House 60, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Hen House 60

Hen House 60 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    I have a Rouen pair the same age. She laid 4 eggs, I took 3 and left one, it disappeared. I put the 3 in the incubator. Today, the same pair of ducks have another nest. It has 4 eggs in it and they are a little covered by mulch. Should I and will she set on them once she is done laying and hatch them or would I be better off trying my luck in the incucbator?
    Also I have a few Muscovies, I found a nest with 3 white eggs, a new egg each day this weekend. Are they good setters? Or do I need to take them also. I would really like for nature to do its thing.
    Thanks so much for the much needed advice.
    Carolyn

2. rlhbond

rlhbond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Mocksville, NC
    I'm not an expert but if they were mine I'd let them sit on the eggs and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, they will always have more eggs.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Just remember this is early in the season. IF she goes broody and you let her hatch a clutch ofeggs she won't lay any more eggs until those ducklings no longer need her to brood them.

I would take the eggs myself and test fertility. This early they may not be fertile but perfect for baking with.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Muscovies are supposed to be very good setters. A lot of people here have females just for that purpose. The rouens aren't usually broody. They can be, but they are more likely not to. I would just keep taking the eggs, unless you don't care if they lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by