Newbie to Forum-Midwest Lizabeth

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Midwest Lizabeth, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Midwest Lizabeth

Midwest Lizabeth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Just wanted to say "Hi!" and "Thank you!" to all the forum members for this most helpful forum. I've been lurking/learning from this forum for a while and finally decided to register. We've had chickens for less than a year.

We reside in the country with other critters and plan to utilize the chickens primarily as layers (eggs for us/friends/maybe sell), contemplating eating some of the roos (or selling them on craigslist) if we can successfully raise the chicks to adults. I'm a food snob and want to know where my food comes from. . .we raise our own beef and try to garden.

Started with six adult chickens last fall (one roo/five hens--three ee's/three gold sex links). We ended up ordering two batches of day-old chicks this year that both came in June----26 purebred Ameraucanas-straight run from Michigan, and ----when we didn't think we'd get the Ameraucanas, a collection of 26 unusual (pullets) from McMurray out of Iowa--11 days apart in age. We've only lost one chick so far. . . .either wasp sting or cocci. . . .but since another one was looking sick, we're treating them with corid (available in some states from Vets only). Without all you great individuals on this forum, we'd have been lost.

Don't know which breeds we like best, but we do like blue eggs. Our chickens will freerange and stay in portable coops or tractor at night. We have one "A" frame tractor that housed the original adults and have built one portable coop for the oldest batch of chicks. We used stock tanks for the first couple of weeks and moved them to outside metal pens (on grass) with plywood liids when it got so hot. We've still got to build another coop for the youngest chicks--they're still packing themselves into a dog kennel--and quickly out growing it.

The chickens are relaxing to watch and we (hubby/I) can certainly understand why this hobby has the potential to become addictive. This is our summer of "the chickens". Don't know how often I'll post, but. . .again. . .thank you all for such a good site to promote chickens and educating me and the world about chickens.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Congrats, and come back and post. It's fun too.

Imp

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hi and welcome to BYC.[​IMG] I'd love to raise my own meat! How neat.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas. Glad you are here!! [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    [​IMG] from WI!

10. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    what part of the midwest are you from? welcome from Kansas!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by