Newbie to Goats!

Empera

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Issaquah, WA
So thanks to everyone's help on my previous thread about 4-H questions and how to get started, I'm joining a club and am going to raise a goat (not a lamb) to show.
big_smile.png
Exciting

Does anyone know (if I purchase a weaned baby) the requirements of showing goats? I want to get a bottle baby so I get the wonderful challenging experience that comes with it.

Do judges disqualify debudded goats? or wethers? Male, female, or wether? What breed is best to get for a beginner? I'm thinking a Nigerian Dwarf but I'm just not sure. (They are so darn cute!!)

&& Any other advice on raising and keeping goats.
Space requirement
Feed
Grooming
Training
Etc.

Thanks!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks,
smile.png

I'm surprised about horned goats can't be shown because it would seem they want to keep the natural look of the goat with horns.

Helmstead,

I have one last question that I can't seem to find any answers for. Since I'm raising a bottle baby and then showing it at the fair, do I need to get another baby goat for it to have company with? Would it be too difficult to bottle feed two baby goats?

Thanks!

well i can tell you this, to show a male goat i MUST be wethered, and what class, market or dairy? i think it might actually be alittle late to start either class but you might want to look into that also...
also you need 2 goats together they are herd animals and look at it this way, you can pick the best out the two of them to actually show...

Last edited:
I'm not sure what class, because I'm not sure what breed & the age requirements for showing in either class.

I'm leaning more towards Nigerian dwarfs but I don't know what to look for.

All the websites or searches I do on BYC come up with short answers to my questions.

That's why I posted this
hmm.png

classes market are usually a goat like a kiko, boer, spanish, myotonic, and dairy meat crosses....pretty sure all wethers are market also
dairy goats are the alpines lamanchas, nubians, nigerians,oberhaslis,toggenburg, saanen.
for the requirements i can ask a friend she shows boer goats in market class, last year it took either best of breed or higher cant remember. The girls mom is the poultry adviser and was the head of the 4h here last year i believe she has all the info i can try but no promises. and as i stated before i think your a little late in getting a kid, theyve had theirs since Halloween...i dont know if dairy is different but
hmm.png
ill do what i can

and for the age requirement do you eman you or the goat? you...i think as long as you are able to walk the goat around the arena i think your good, and im guessing your at least like 10 becuase your using the internet and dont have a billion spelling mistakes...lol so i think you should be good as for the goat i think its composite age and weight requirments at least for the market as i said dont know about dairy...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom