1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie to hatching egg Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Choco Maran, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Just received my Marans eggs 7 of them. This is my first try on hatching. Do I place them right away in the incubator (they are cold to the touch) . I read somewhere where they let them rest for 24 hour before placing them in the incubator? Please Help.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

If your eggs have been shipped to you then yes it is advisable to let them rest for 24 hours before setting them in the incubator. The shipping process is quite hard on the eggs and they can become damaged. They can have damaged air cells or become scrambled if the process has been particularly rough. Letting them rest give the air cell chance to settle and possibly reattach. The above link has an excellent section on hatching shipped eggs.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your first incubation attempt. Hope you enjoy the experience incubating and hatching is a super experience.

3. Choco Maran

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Thank You Yorkshire Coop I found the article very helpful. We will have to see what happens with the eggs. I did place them in the incubator right away but I turned off the turner. I will let them sit until tomorrow and turn it back on after 24 hours. They came quite well wrapped. Each egg wrapped separately and then again in bubble wrap and a third time with air bags on all sides. The eggs where not really expensive so if I do not get a hatch I will chalk it up to experience and try another. You can't learn if you do not make a mistake or two along the way.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    That is very true about making mistakes :thumbsup I know I've made my fair share and have most definatly learnt from them. Anyone who says they have not must be fibbing!!

Sounds like they were very well packaged that is always a bonus with shipped eggs. Shipped eggs generally have a 50% hatch rate anyway just because of the process anything above that is a bonus. Even a couple of days in the incubator with no turning and they should be fine.

Keep us posted on how you get along :frow

5. Choco Maran

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I will. I'm trying to find a place I can get hatching eggs that are recommended. I would love to have Ameracana and Marans of different colors. The ones I just got are French Black Copper. I will trying candleing them next Monday that will be seven days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by