Newbie to incubating- clear and blood ring eggs??

masako85

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 3, 2012
Today is day 5 in the incubator. I have 12 eggs set and two questionables. (I'm pretty sure I know the answer but hate to chuck a viable due to being new to this)
Egg 1: (I am pretty sure it's a blood ring)

Egg 2: (clear?)

Well, so far out of 12, I have one infertile, and one early embryonic death. There are two others that are questionable. One that also looks to be clear but has a little thing that looks like a vein so am going to give it until 7 days. And the other that does not have as defined veining as the others so may also end up being an early embryo death. The others look to be good so far, and I am crossing my fingers they continue to do well.

Well, so far out of 12, I have one infertile, and one early embryonic death. There are two others that are questionable. One that also looks to be clear but has a little thing that looks like a vein so am going to give it until 7 days. And the other that does not have as defined veining as the others so may also end up being an early embryo death. The others look to be good so far, and I am crossing my fingers they continue to do well.
I don't throw any questionable ones out until day 10, just in case. Mark the not-sure ones with an "X." Just make sure they don't start to smell bad.
It looks like you have light eggs, but if you happen to have any brown or green eggs as well, it's best to wait as long as possible to chuck them. I could see embryos on day 3 with the light ones but non at all until day 5-7 with dark ones.

I haven't thrown them out yet, just have Q's written on them! I have thrown out the blood ring though... I'm hoping that was the correct thing to do!

I haven't thrown them out yet, just have Q's written on them! I have thrown out the blood ring though... I'm hoping that was the correct thing to do!
I'm pretty sure the blood ring one was bad, no worries! Just for future reference, there's no harm in leaving it in. It's not really at risk of busting until after day 10, so it won't hurt anything to leave it in if you're not sure. I've left plenty of "not sures" in the incubator until hatching with no problems. Some people on here don't even candle at all!

Day 7:
Well it looks like the previous "clear" may have actually been a quitter:

I think this is also another quitter?:

On a good note the rest of the eggs so far look nice and well veined!

The first one definitely looks like a quitter, and the other one looks like one too. I would wait for some other input though, I've only hatched one batch of chicks(and hopefully a second this weekend!) so I'm still learning!!!

Back
Top Bottom