Newbie to Quail- Chicken Mama

Discussion in 'Quail' started by OrpingtonHopeful, Apr 2, 2011.

1. OrpingtonHopeful

OrpingtonHopeful Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    So we have chickens- The feed store is tempting me with their assortment of Wyandottes at the moment, but they also had *gasp* day old quail.

Ok, I am in love with the tiny cutes. BUT we are totally ignorant- Before we got chickens I researched the heck out of it- but Quail, well quail we hadn't previously considered and now are excitedly doing so! I didn't even ask the store if they were sexed or staright run or if they can do that with quail- We don't keep roosters among our chickens- are male quails loud and aggressive?

My hubby loves the call of a bobwhite and is willing to build an addition to our coop (they'd be separate but I guess in some contact through a wire mesh wall- they could maybe touch beaks-

We could brood the quail indoors for several weeks- we've done this for all of our chickens- but I am gathering from posts here that maybe the quails aren't winter hardy (we're in Charlotte) and that it might not be ok to keep the flocks -chicken and quail- in a way that would allow for them to be in close proximity- even though our chickens wouldn't be able to physicially harm/harrass the lil guys in the setup.

What are the differences between raising chickens and quail? What are some good resources I can check into keeping in mind that my car is pulling toward the feed store and quail are on my mind [​IMG]

2. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I am pretty sure Bobwhites are native so I think they will be fine in the winter, but I am no expert.

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. OrpingtonHopeful

May 17, 2009

Awesome- Yeah we saw that they were native, but I had looked at the stickies and saw warnings about 30 degree weather for more than a week being problematic- so I was worried.

I am actually excited that we may be able to release them and help re-populate our area (though I don;t know- I tend to grow rather attached, lol)

So unfortunately we found that the feed store had some exotics and that the selection my lil one and I had seen were actually ordered specifically for another entusiast- Bobwhites are on order for June, but of course my LO was ini tears at the thought of not leaving with a basket full of peeps...

The feed store folks said quail are hard to raise to maturity and have a high death rate, are harder to care for than our easy peasy chickens-

Would really love advice. DH is even looking at (and earnestly considering) an incubator to hatch our own as a family project this summer.

Please weigh in and educate me- How hard are quail- what are their needs- What does it take to be a good and responsible Bobwhite nurturer? Will my kid have to suffer through loosing 80% of them as the guy at the feed store warned?

Thanks all!

5. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    Depending on the species, quail are very easy to raise. As long as you provide good care you won't lose 80% like that guy said. If you do get quail you should keep them far away from chickens because they will spread diseases. Definitely don't keep them close enough to touch beaks.

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN

Awesome- Yeah we saw that they were native, but I had looked at the stickies and saw warnings about 30 degree weather for more than a week being problematic- so I was worried.

I am actually excited that we may be able to release them and help re-populate our area (though I don;t know- I tend to grow rather attached, lol)

So unfortunately we found that the feed store had some exotics and that the selection my lil one and I had seen were actually ordered specifically for another entusiast- Bobwhites are on order for June, but of course my LO was ini tears at the thought of not leaving with a basket full of peeps...

The feed store folks said quail are hard to raise to maturity and have a high death rate, are harder to care for than our easy peasy chickens-

Would really love advice. DH is even looking at (and earnestly considering) an incubator to hatch our own as a family project this summer.

Please weigh in and educate me- How hard are quail- what are their needs- What does it take to be a good and responsible Bobwhite nurturer? Will my kid have to suffer through loosing 80% of them as the guy at the feed store warned?

Thanks all!

Bobwhites are very aggressive, and you might lose a few. If you release them most will die and its illegal.

7. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    If you want to release, you will need a permit.

8. OrpingtonHopeful

May 17, 2009
    Thanks guys! Seems odd to need a permit to release native species, but what do I know, lol.

Ok, so can you point me to some good books or sites so I can study up?

I read the stickies at the top, but it seems that quail may be more complex than chickens and again, I want to be sure to be a responsible person here- I would have hated to release them if that's not good for them or the environment so I am grateful to y'all for pointing out the rules about that.

What diseases go back and forth between chickens and quail (or where should I go to research so I don't keep buggin y'all with my questions)

Thanks again everyone- I truly appreciate the time you are taking to educate me!

Best wishes,
    Sarah

9. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  10. OrpingtonHopeful

May 17, 2009
    Quote:Read the entire thread and now am off to explore the weblinks you shared! Thank you sooooo much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by