Newbie to raising chickens :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jacklynn, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello everyone, my name is Jackie, I want to start raising chickens ! Tommorow I'm suppose to pick up four black bantam cochin pullets and one barred bantam cochin rooster.
    They are 2010 hatch, so they are young. They will be living in my shed outside. Now my question is, it's the middle of winter and it is COLD outside, so will they be okay ?
    Also what do I need to feed them? Chick food? If so, how much does it cost approx.?
    At what age can they eat cracked corn and layer mash?
    In the ad for the chickens, it states that the barred rooster is out in an unheated area, but the others are in a heated area.
    So will they have to be somewhere warm? My shed does not have electricity :eek:

Any other tips and stuff are appreciated, since I'm completely new to chickens.

Thanks ! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] <--- First off

Now, Being you said some of the birds are being kept heated now, It could be real hard on them if

they go from heated one moment, to cold the next, so try and keep them

warm and slowly introduce them to mr. winter [​IMG] My birds are not kept heated, and I have never

heard of loosing a bird to the winter unless it's a CHICK.

They have feathers, and those feathers do their job well. [​IMG]

the thing you gotta worry about is the summer. Scratch, layer mash, and chick food all cost around

$10-$15 dollars for a 50Ib bag where I'm at, however it varies. Depends on where you live. If they were

hatched in the spring of 2010, they should be eating big chicken food now.

You should also provide them with grit for digesting. Oyster shell is good to get for calcium.

Congrats on getting chickens! They are a joy. [​IMG]

-Becca

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  3. Jacklynn

Thank you Becca! [​IMG]
    I doubt I'll be allowed to bring them in the house, but I'm going to ask.
    If I'm not allowed, do you think they will be okay in a cardboard box with wood shavings and a heating lamp?

[​IMG]

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  5. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:Definatly. [​IMG] Just be careful, with it being outside you can't monitor it. Anything could happen.

They can tip the lamp over and cause a fire, They can get to hot, etc. If your coop/shed is well

insulated and theres no drafts, I, myself would probably go ahead and put them in there. [​IMG]

6. Jacklynn

Thank you everyone.
    Becca, I want to put them out, my shed is insulated and there are no drafts, but there are no windows in there yet. So it will be dark for till spring when we put windows in.
    The water freezes in there. I will be using straw as bedding. They will be getting run of an 11 x 6 foot shed.
    Will that be okay?

7. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Yes that should be fine. If you want you could put a light in there.

It wont be a easy to catch fire as it would be with a card-board box. [​IMG]

8. Jacklynn

Thank you !

I brought them out, they ruffled up their feathers & one was shivering :S

Gah, I don't know what to do. [​IMG]

9. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i would give them the option of a lamp. i would set up 2 sleeping areas 1 with a light 1 without so that they will decide if they need the lamp or not if they are shivering they probably will. i used a bedside lamp with a 40 watt bulb in it for my young ones.

10. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:agreed ^^^^ Since they're shivering you'll probably need to give them the

option of a lamp. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by