Newbie to raising Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Marci chick momma, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Marci chick momma

Marci chick momma New Egg

Apr 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Hello all,
    I have decided to raise chickens.. I have four chicks between the ages of 1-2 weeks. 2 are Rhode Island reds and and 2 are Sextons.. I was told they are all females.. [​IMG]

1. How to tell sex of chicks?[​IMG]

2. when building a coop is concrete better or dirt???

They are living in a large dog kennel right now with a 100 watt light on them. They seem to be thriving.. Any and all help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I have quite the circus in my house.. I have 4 boys 17to 6..[​IMG][​IMG] 3 cats, 3 dogs a chinchilla and the chicks..[​IMG]

Thanks for all of you help!!

2. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    [​IMG]

Hi, and welcome!! Wish I could help you with your questions, but I am new too, and I am still trying to figure out what I have in my brood.. I do have a 4 week old RIR.. and she is soooo pretty!! I just love her! Everyone here on the boards is so helpful! Glad to have you as a fellow chicken addict!

(You may be saying, I'm not addicted to chickens... but don't worry.. you will be! [​IMG] )
    Christine

3. Marci chick momma

Marci chick momma New Egg

Apr 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Thank you!! Glad to be here!!!

4. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    Im pretty new too, but I know they say the chicks need the dirt to help digest food, concrete might be wasy to clean. If they will be able to go out in the yard then their coop could probably be concrete, but the use the sand to help digest from what I read.

5. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well I am very new but mine is a wodden floor, it was already there but I am putting in a door for them. I was wondering how old they need to be for a dust bath? Also someone told me they might need a baby pool or something to put water in for them to play in, and when would they need that? I need advice...

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I am just now raising my first batch of chicks, but I've been around BYC for awhile. I did have some long ago, but couldn't keep them due to our schedule.
    1. If you have a concrete floor in your coop, it will keep the predators out better than a dirt floor will. That's the main benefit of a concrete floor that I've seen.
    2. A dust bath for them wouldn't necessarily have to be the same as you do for chinchillas. My chicks are on pine shavings and they do go through the motions of a dust bath. Once they are in their permanent run, I won't have to provide a dust bath, per se; they'll use the dirt in their run for that.
    3. You can make a good sized brooder out of a plastic swimming pool (as I did), but chicks don't need it to play in; ducklings do. In fact, letting young chicks play in water is not a good idea; as they chill easily.
    4. What they need to help digest food is grit and they don't need it while still eating chick starter exclusively. It's only necessary after you start adding other foods and treats to their diet.
    Welcome all y'all to BYC.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  7. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    What other stuff should I start feeding mine, they are about 3 1/2 weeks old. By greens are they refering to lettuce or grass?

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you look at the top of the 'Feeding Time' category, you'll find a sticky by Buff Hooligans that includes a link to a Treats Chart. I tried to copy the link here, but it wouldn't work for some reason.
    Mine are 8 days old today and so far the only treat I've given them is chopped, hard boiled egg. I only gave a very small amount (1/2 large egg) for 21 chicks. I only plan to give it maybe once a week. The rest of the treats I plan to wait on until they are older.

9. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay Thanks:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by