1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie to the Chickies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Raech, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Raech

Raech Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    So I don't have any chickens yet, heck I don't even have the place for them. I figured since I have been lurking here for about 6 months and want to get chickens, I might as well join BYC. I am a stay at home mom of two beautiful and active boys, ages 4 and 1. We currently live on the border of Idaho and Washington, so I tend to jump from state to state as where I live since its literally 2 minutes and a bridge crossing. My family is spread across South Dakota and a few in Idaho, hubby's family is all over the U.S. and Hawaii.

My family says that I was born 100 years late since I love to garden, cook, can, and sew. I enjoy the fact that we get half a cow every year to split between 2 households, I like to know were my food comes from, that's why I want to have chickens, and maybe a goat, to go with my massive garden, my flower beds can no longer contain it where we are now, so I told hubby its time to buy a house. If my oldest had his way we would have sheep, cows, a camel named Bo Bo, a herd of horses and a bunch of dogs, and our indoor cats.

I love to can, I am in my 2 year of canning, and hubby is all for it as long as I make salsa for him. My husband is a tuner, he loves his fast cars and new top of the line gadgets, I gave up on trying to understand the "car world" and let him have his fun with his cars, so we make a lot of trips to Seattle for shows and Spokane for meets. I am more of a country girl, I love to go camping and four-wheeling. I am still working on convincing him to get chickens, so far he is indulging me on my "idea" but limits the number to 3 chickens and prefers no goats/horses, I think I can win him over just going to take a little sweet talking.

I doubt if you will hear much from me, I am more of a "lurk and learn" than a talker so I will now go back to lurking at least until I get my house and chickens. lol

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] when you need us we will be here.

I think hubby will come around to the chickens and then the rest should be easy. Or offer him a choice, say "I'd love to have chickens or a few EMUs." Emu's are getting very popular and I think he'd pick chickens over them - they end up around 6 feet tall and need a lot of room with fencing.

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us!

6. Raech

Raech Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    I asked him, he would prefer 6 emus over the chickens, "we would have a pasture claimed and you could see their eggs from the house." I didn't expect him to say that, then he really broke my heart by saying he would prefer to not have any winged birds. My husband says that emu's are trainable and he wants to train an emu and feed it out of his hand, I brought up the issue of being able to "kill you with one kick" and he laughed and said the boys wouldn't be allowed to go over there, "and I could shoot them from the house and have more meat than any turkey or chicken could ever give me."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by