Newbie to the whole "Raising yard birds"... lol. Any advise?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joneal312, Mar 28, 2012.

1. joneal312

joneal312 New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    Ok. So I'm new to the whole "raising yard birds" so I'll take any advise that I can get. We're raising them for eggs, not so much meat. My husband bought 9 baby chicks, not sure what kind, from TSC yesterday. I do have one huge question for anyone living in south Georgia: Are you expericing anything wrong with your chicks/chickens? I'm hearing of diseases happening in some chicken houses around where I'm at and just wondering "What's going on?"

Thanks!

2. mom29

mom29 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Ohio
    We usually keep ours indoor til they have their pin feathers I am quite a bit north so not sure about the diseases. Good Luck , this is the place to be for any ?'s you might have........[​IMG]

3. joneal312

joneal312 New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    This might seem silly to you but --> How do you know if they have their "pin feathers"? Lol.

4. mom29

mom29 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Ohio
    [​IMG] I asked the same question,lol...... Their pin feathers are the ones they get permanently and you can tell this when all their fluff is gone. There is never a dumb question when venturing something new, although I must warn you raising chickens can become obsessive..LOL

5. joneal312

joneal312 New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    Ahh. Ok. Well I think ours still look a little fluffy. We have them on our back porch with a heat lamp so I hope they'll be ok. I'm sure it's going to be quite an adventure. We just got 3 ducks as well :)

6. mom29

mom29 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Ohio
    Yea they should have their fluff for a month or more.. I would love to have ducks but hubby says NO!!! He doesn't want a dirty pool laying around the yard for the little ones to play in so I am still holding out for when they are older [​IMG]......They are so darn cute!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by