Sweet-pea

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2018
Tampa Bay, fl.
My husband and I, since purchasing our home 2 years ago, have discussed raising a few hens. The other day he came home from running errands with 4 little chicks (2 barred rock and 2 araucana). I was so happy and suddenly way overwhelmed. We don't have a hen house (yet, hubby is in the works on building one) and I know nothing about raising chicks! So many questions! Dr. Google has led me to this page with forum with almost every question. Thank you all for this forum. I hope to learn how to properly raise these happy little gals.

My husband and I, since purchasing our home 2 years ago, have discussed raising a few hens. The other day he came home from running errands with 4 little chicks (2 barred rock and 2 araucana). I was so happy and suddenly way overwhelmed. We don't have a hen house (yet, hubby is in the works on building one) and I know nothing about raising chicks! So many questions! Dr. Google has led me to this page with forum with almost every question. Thank you all for this forum. I hope to learn how to properly raise these happy little gals.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens could we ask you to go back to start page to fill out a members profile gives us clues of your climate and such to give better help

G’Day from down under Sweet-pea :frow Welcome & Congratulations! :clap

You might be interested in downloading this free e-book My First Year With Chickens

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you include your general location on your profile, this will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has a Learning Centre and also Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. A couple in particular that may be of interest to you at this stage are:
Topic/Question of the week - Brooding and supplementing heat for chicks
Topic of the Week - Raising Chicks

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Best wishes and good luck!

Greetings and welcome to BYC! So glad you joined us. Congrats on getting started! The first strokes after entering the deep end are the hardest, but then the swim becomes much more fun! :clap There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me :clap will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

New babies are so much fun. And this forum has such a plethora of knowledge! The good thing about babies is they don't need a ton of room yet. And they are too small to explore a huge coup. Enjoy them being tiny. They grow out of the pompom stage too fast. Make sure they are at an ambient temperature, eating, drinking and their vents are clear. Bam, yo just like that u are a chicken mom!

Back
Top Bottom