newbie to this site

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by beccas, Jun 5, 2011.

1. beccas

beccas New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    Hello, from Galveston,Texas I have 2springers 5yr old brothers, 1 chinese crested 8yrs, 5 hens, 1 roo,
    1 nh red, 1 americana, 1 belgium bant,1 white cochin ban, 1 frizzle ban roo, that I did not know, until he was four months, and one black copper maran, Which is the reason I have joined.

I have been dealing with cocci, for 21 days, I have learned alot while surfing for answers on this site, glad it is available. I had 2 but one died, two weeks ago, since I did not have sulmet on time which leaves me with the one that is healing and doing very good, but I have some questions as to helping her build her immune system, I took her poop to the vet, that is why i know what I was dealing with, next her diarr would not stop so I took it again, she was treated with strongid for worms, still on the sulmet per vet inst. Now this is my plan, Since it is very humid this is the very thing that started this cocci on top of letting them mingle with big hens, she is now born last week of Feb, 2011, making her three months old, she has been isolated inside her original brooder, and likes to fly out, or perch and likes the ac, So I am reintroducing her to outside again, so when I bring her back in at night she will have her sulmet, and her medicated food when she comes back in., she has another worming due in one more week. I would like, appreciate all the help or redirection / feed back on my reintroduction the real world. [​IMG]

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma!! [​IMG]

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. lucyboo

lucyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] from nc

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Pride, La.

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

7. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

8. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Hello and welcome from NH. [​IMG]

I am sorry to hear what you've been dealing with! I am too new to this to be of any help, but I think if you post about the cocci in another section, Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures
    , you should get some help.

Good luck hun!
    -Jessa

9. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Welcome to BYC!

Two of our pullets had cocci this Spring but, thankfully, I caught it early and they recovered very quickly. I immediately isolated them, got them up out of litter/bedding, put them on a full dose of Sulmet for two days, followed by four days on a half-dose, and they recovered very quickly. I put vitamins and electrolytes in their water for about a week after they recovered and offered plain yogurt every day.

You said you have a vet involved and I wouldn't presume to contradict any instruction you've been given, but you didn't say whether or not the vet endorsed the idea of offering Sulmet only at night. It's my understanding that chickens must have access to ONLY the treated water 24-hours a day, for the medication to be effective. If you only offer treated water at night, I think you may run into trouble. I would continue to keep her isolated until the finished the entire course of medication recommended by your veterinarian.

Bets of luck!

10. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by