Newbie - Trouble sexing 10-11 Week old chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NicNac69, Dec 19, 2016.

1. NicNac69

NicNac69 Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    Marlborough, New Zealand
    Hello all! [​IMG]

I and new to this group & raising chickens. I have recently purchased 6 supposed pullets from a breeder here in NZ. The breeder said she couldn't tell 100% if they were all pullets, but if they turn out to be cockerels, she would swap or refund me. So I'm keen to get the matter resolved fast, so they can all bond together as best as possible. Also, I'm not sure on their age, she said around 10 weeks when I brought them, give or take, so we are probably looking at around 10, 11 or 12 weeks old.

All well in good, but I'm having trouble telling Arthur from Martha...

I was hoping someone could have a look at the provided photos and give me some guidance in sexing my little babies! I have my suspicions about a couple of them being cockerels, mainly my white susuxs Frenchy, who I've have noticed being a right bossy cow lately, and just a hunch.

So, I have 2 golden & 2 silver wyandotte,1 barred rock and a coronation sussex.
    Below is a few photo of them over the last two weeks (I'm aiming to get more tonight)

I've tried googling everything, but I'm just not sure! Any help or advice I can get will be greatly received!!! (Sorry, photos not that great)
    Thanks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    They look all female to me but I am very inexperienced at sexing

1 person likes this.
  3. NicNac69

NicNac69 Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    Marlborough, New Zealand
    Thank you :) Fingers crossed they are! [​IMG]

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    They all look like pullets to me!

1 person likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy neighbour [​IMG] Welcome!

Yep, they all look like pullets to me also but then I am no gender expert either.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Breannawarr

Breannawarr New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    The way I can tell like if they were just hatched after they dry you can spread their wing out and the females wings would be alot longer with the as icall it like their peach fuzz feathers and they will grow alot faster with their feathers .

Now with them being bigger but still young look for a crown the hens will get sometimes a small crown but the rooster will always have a bigger crown and alot redder.

I hope that helps some :)

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. Looking like all pullets

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm not seeing anything especially "rooster-ish" about them, looks like you probably have all pullets.

Thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  9. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Yep, it looks like you have all pullets!

1 person likes this.
  10. NicNac69

NicNac69 Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    Marlborough, New Zealand
    Thank you everyone for the responses, fingers crossed they are all girlies! [​IMG]
    I got a few more snaps of them last night I thought I might add.[​IMG] and they now all have names!

[​IMG]Dott & Dixie

[​IMG]Frenchy

[​IMG]Cookie & Cashew

[​IMG]Rizzo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by