Newbie trying to hatch eggs and candle them - who knows..am i right

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thepetpaw, Aug 14, 2008.

1. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I got some silkie, cochin frizzle and Light brahma eggs and put them into the Genesis 1588. I have the automatic egg turner and I tried to cadle them last night but couldn't see anything. I put them in the bator on aug 8th - what should I be doing or not doing.

I have read where you should add water and then read about dry incubation...everyone says different things.

I would be so suprised and overjoyed if I really will be able to hatch any eggs...

mom in waiting

any advice out there

When - or what days should i try and cancle....how can I tell is the eggs are good...when should I get rid of some of them...?

Oh my i really do feel like a Mom in waiting...

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Personally, I won't throw out an egg unless I KNOW it is bad. If I do toss eggs, I always break them in a plate to see what went wrong, too. If it is clear after about day 10 or 11 or so, if it smells (I always sniff test), etc. I would rather just sit and wait, just in case. It is still early yet. Sometimes, especially when you have never done it before, it can be hard. However, on the lighter eggs you should be able to see veins now. Possibly even the embryo if it is in the right place. But, your candler might not be bright enough, your room might not be dark enough. Good luck. [​IMG] It is all very exciting. [​IMG]

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Well if you set them on the 8th, the 15th will be 7 days so that is a good time to candle. Actually, I always candle at 10 days there is more to see. I will include a link to show you photos of what to look. ''
    Make sure you use a very powerful flashlight, I use a mini maglight that you can dial the light down to a pinpoint. It works very well.

I always use water. Dry incubation is good in certain areas of the country and not others. Follow the directions that came with you incubator. They have tested them and know how they were meant to be used.

Good luck with your hatch. The waiting is just so hard.

http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/Week2-3/Day08.html

I like this site the best of the one covering incubation. The photos are exactly what you will see.

Click on the tabs on top to progress thru the different stages.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i always candle my eggs at 10 days and i have rirs hard to see thru but i have a good flashlight and it works fine good luck

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

If you are new to candling it is best to wait until day 7 or 10 so there is more to see. You must have a bright light and a pitch black room to see things good. Make sure your light source is NOT bigger around than the egg your candling. That is because light escaping out around the outside of your egg makes it really hard to see inside the egg. Does that make sense? You can take a heat lamp base and put a 40 or 60 watt light bulb in it, cut a piece of cardboard to fit over the entire heat lamp front, then make your egg candling hole small enough that your smallest egg CANNOT go through that hole. That will concentrate all your light through that hole and into your egg. Just make sure not to leave the egg on the light too long because the heat will kill the embryo. That's about the best way I can describe it. If the egg is not fertile you will see bright yellow when you candle it. If it is fertile you should see a black dot and lots of red veins when you candle. Hold the light on top of the egg to see more stuff.

6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    This is good info for me. Today is my Day 7, and I am just about to go down and candle for the very first time EVER [​IMG]

Super exciting! [​IMG]

One thing I have to ask: What should my humidity be at? I have a digital hygrometer/thermometer inside the Gen 1588, and section C has water in it. What should it be reading?

Yes, I live in a dry area and need humidity.

7. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    Quote:i like to keep the humidity at around 45 to 50 percent seems to be great and not drown chicks. good luck with ur hatches.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

and dont u think the gensis is soooo nice we love ours.

8. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    Thanks everyone - I will cut a piece of cardboard and try to candle the eggs that way. I thought I could see a few little spots the other night but not sure what I was looking at. i did see and bunch of little dots and I looked on one website and it said that was bacteria forming - guess those light brahma eggs are not going to be any good....oh so sad they are such beautiful chickens!

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I think I need to dump some water. It said 67%!!!!! [​IMG]

I tried to candle. It just all looked dark.

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Are you sure you weren't just seeing an eyeball? The eye looks like a little black dot when you candle. I am about to go insane with mine that are on day 3 and I can't see a thing!!!!! I want to see babies NOW!!! Oh well, I have some on day 8, too. [​IMG] I can see those. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by