Newbie- unknown illness/disease killing my flock

sweetappleacres

Songster
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
So about a month ago some of my birds got hit with the fowl pox. 4 were isolated along with a broody and her 5 newborn chicks. One hen and 4 babies have now all died with the last chick going soon I fear. I did lose another adult, a roo, but I believe from the winter blast here in Dallas tx. However my chicks have had aweful growths on their faces and wanted to see if it truly is the pox or maybe a secondary issue. The momma they're with has had no signs of pox, and that's rather strange thus why I think it's something else. Here are pics- they're not pretty.... Please let me know this could be. I don't want to lose any more chickens (silkies)

I recommend that you contact your local extension office and find out how to have a necropsy performed so you can find out what's going on in your flock.

Well, none of my babies (one month olds) made it. I still have the mom separated even though she's not shown any signs of pox... just in case. I moved one of the infected roos back into the coop but he's still separated and is about 98% over the disease. How long after all his physical symptoms disappear can I place him back in with the rest of the flock? I was thinking about 10 days from now. Is that ok or longer?

Back
Top Bottom