Newbie wants to raise quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by QuailRaiser, Jan 23, 2013.

1. QuailRaiser

QuailRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, I'm based in Victoria, BC and am planning on raising Coturnix quail, if I could get some basic info such as when to get them as Poults (I don't remember what they're called) and how to protect the from weather, etc.... I am thinking about 6 to 9 at the moment for a small flock.

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
  3. QuailRaiser

QuailRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks,
    I've read that through 2 times already but you are right, it is the "holy grail" and another thorogh reading won't hurt

Finn

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Well, the best way to move forward on something is to take the first step. For me, it was baby steps. I have been reading as much as I can for the past 6 or 7 months. That was the easiest step. Then, the most important step was running it by the Mrs. I showed her some of the sites pertaining to the nutritional benefits from quail eggs. Then I showed her some recipes for quail. She told me that she would have to think about it. I told her that I would be doing the butchering. A few days later, she surprised me with the green light to proceed.
    So after a bit of looking at quail pens, I decided that instead of purchasing a rabbit hutch, I would build my own. So last weekend I started building my own pen. I have it all built with the exception of the door and the roof. That is just one. I told my wife the plan would be for 3 small pens, each measuring 36 x 18 x 18; one for the egg layers, which would be no more than 5, another pen for the breeders which would be one male and 4 females, and the last for the males that will become dinner when they reach maturity. With the same carpentry skills set as Homer Simpson, I'll take my time with the other 2, and take pictures and post them as I go along. The brooder is already in the works; I just haven't put anything into motion as I haven't "stepped" that far yet.
    The next step is an incubator. But which type? One with an automatic turner? I figured that as of right now, I'm about 3 weeks from that purchase and another 2 weeks after that to purchase to eggs, which is another step. I'm pretty sure that I would like some A&Ms, and maybe a few Jumbo Browns.
    When you get ready to take your steps, let us know how you're doing. And good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by