Newbie - what to plant for a forage crop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jaycees, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jaycees

jaycees New Egg

Oct 21, 2009
    I am a newbie in the Chicken world. Building a chicken tractor coop but the area I have to put the coop is at present lacking greens. What type of forage crop can I put in for the chickens I hope to get as soon as I finish my first wood working adventure. I live in Australia.

jaycees [​IMG]

2. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    grass......

3. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    turnips, rape, clover, grass, weeds,

they will make use of it all

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    My chickens love clover, and it is very easy to grow. Here. Not sure about there.

[​IMG]

5. old fashioned

old fashioned Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2009
    Tacoma, Washington
    I've also heard "Italian Ryegrass" is a good poultry pasture, but I'm new also and don't know for sure and am really clueless about your area. [​IMG] sorry. I just know that my chickens will eat just about anything and everything, including anything green or greenish tint. (LOL)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    A couple of weeks before chickens come, plant some grass in the run area. Don't trim it, alow it to become thick and matted. It will take a while for your chickens to chow that down completely, and if its kept watered (twice a week) It'll keep growing.

7. jaycees

jaycees New Egg

Oct 21, 2009
    :)Thanks to all for the help. Coop is coming along nicely and should be finished in a week, have to make time for all the other things in life

I had racked over the site for the chicken coop and run and noticed that over night I had visitors of the four legged variety - cats only I hope, but think I should maybe put chicken wire on the bottom of my mobile chicken coop for extra protection.

Taking my time in putting this all together and making sure I have everything in place before getting my chicks. It is the season for the farm shows over here in Australia so I can have a look at the variety of chickens available and line up with a seller or two.

jaycees

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by