Newbie.... whats the easiest coop to build?

makeitsnappy

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
I don't know if my husband fully supports the chicken idea ;) so I might have to build the coop myself, sort of like, look hunny we have chickens.... what's the easiest/best coop to build? bets place to get blue prints? any good advice about coops? I live in Ontario, it gets very cold... this winter we have has several days at -15 would this be ok, or does the coop need to be a special winterized type? Also, we do get raccoons, hawks, possum etc. around here, any good hints?

I don't know if my husband fully supports the chicken idea ;) so I might have to build the coop myself, sort of like, look hunny we have chickens.... what's the easiest/best coop to build? bets place to get blue prints? any good advice about coops? I live in Ontario, it gets very cold... this winter we have has several days at -15 would this be ok, or does the coop need to be a special winterized type? Also, we do get raccoons, hawks, possum etc. around here, any good hints?

Snappy-we had a rather nasty winter this year with alot of below zero temps and many, many days of -20 windchills. Our chickens did very well, they did not have any heat but our coop was "weatherized" , we blocked the weather with straw bales, wrapped the open areas with plastic and made sure there was adequate ventilation without drafts. They did slow down their laying, but I could not blame them! I was happy with how well they came through all the awful weather. And, by the way.....my husband was " not a fan" in the beginning but now he loves them like I do! Predator-proof your coop to the best of your ability, just about everyone on here has lost some of their bird family to hungry and crafty visitors.

thanks. I just found out I can't keep them in my city. I can keep them in the house but not in a coop. how does that make any sense. stupid city!

Back
Top Bottom