Newbie.... whats the easiest coop to build?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by makeitsnappy, Mar 11, 2014.

1. makeitsnappy

makeitsnappy New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    I don't know if my husband fully supports the chicken idea ;) so I might have to build the coop myself, sort of like, look hunny we have chickens.... what's the easiest/best coop to build? bets place to get blue prints? any good advice about coops? I live in Ontario, it gets very cold... this winter we have has several days at -15 would this be ok, or does the coop need to be a special winterized type? Also, we do get raccoons, hawks, possum etc. around here, any good hints?

2. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Snappy-we had a rather nasty winter this year with alot of below zero temps and many, many days of -20 windchills. Our chickens did very well, they did not have any heat but our coop was "weatherized" , we blocked the weather with straw bales, wrapped the open areas with plastic and made sure there was adequate ventilation without drafts. They did slow down their laying, but I could not blame them! I was happy with how well they came through all the awful weather. And, by the way.....my husband was " not a fan" in the beginning but now he loves them like I do! Predator-proof your coop to the best of your ability, just about everyone on here has lost some of their bird family to hungry and crafty visitors.

3. makeitsnappy

makeitsnappy New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    thanks. I just found out I can't keep them in my city. I can keep them in the house but not in a coop. how does that make any sense. stupid city!

4. ChickMami

ChickMami Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Whoa- that is nuts! That makes no sense whatsoever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by