Newbie - White Sussex cross Leg Horn

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MillieTu, Mar 5, 2015.

1. MillieTu

MillieTu Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    England
    Hi Everyone.

I'm a newbie :)

I collected my first ever baby chicks on Tuesday (03.03.15)

Hatched on Friday (27.02.15)

1 White Sussex X Leg Horn (Popcorn)
    1 Maran X Faverolle (Nugget)
    (fingers crossed the breeder was correct and they are hens)

Has anyone owned any of these before pictures would be greatful also what kind of layers are they??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your chicks. 3 is better than 2 - that way if something happens to one, there are still two for company. Of course 4 is better than 3 and 25 is better than 4 and ---------------------- just enabling here. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. MillieTu

Mar 5, 2015
    England
    Don't be saying that to me! Id have 25! I love them I can't stop looking at them. I'm just getting a little worried I think they might be sneezing! Is this possible

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi and welcome

Congratulations on your new chicks. Rather usual crosses but sound interesting.

Unfortunately it is a fact of life that despite our very best efforts, sometimes chicks and even adult hens die, so as sourland suggests more than two is a better option since they are social creatures.... but that statement comes with a warning clause..... BEWARE CHICKEN MATHS..... 2 becomes 3, becomes 5 and before you know it, you have over 40 like me and still planning your next acquisition or what eggs to put under your broody for this season.

Keeping fingers crossed for you. I'm not sure either of those crosses would be sex linked for the breeder to be sure of giving you pullets, but then I'm no expert on the subject. Do you have a guarantee with them so that you can exchange any cockerels?

This is certainly a great place to learn.
    Good luck with them.

Regards

Barbara

5. MillieTu

Mar 5, 2015
    England
    Hi Barbara,

Sorry are they unusual or usual?

Do you think I should go and get another chick, I'm slightly worried now :(

6. rebrascora

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Oops! Sorry, I mustn't have been concentrating when I typed. Yes, I meant unusual crosses but interesting.

It's up to you really as regards getting another. It is a slippery slope to step on! If you lose one, how easy will it be for you to get another of a similar age at short notice and then you risk bringing in a disease/illness from another flock if you don't quarantine first and if you do quarantine, your lone chick is on it's own for several weeks during that time. If it was me I would probably get another from the same breeder now as there is not much difference between looking after 2 or 3. I guess it depends if you already have a coup and run for when they get older and if so, how big it is. The only worry is that the 2 chicks you have are already palled up and decide to pick on any newcomer you get.... of course if you got 2 new chicks then they could pal up together and it would work better...... but that's how the dreaded CHICKEN MATHS starts.

Maybe best to stick with just your 2 for now and see how you get on!

I just reread and see that they are sneezing. I've not experienced that in chicks but I have a couple of older hens that have been under the weather and sneezing for several months, so yes they can sneeze and not wanting to worry you further but it can be a symptom of some quite serious respiratory infections. Maybe they just dunked their beaks too deep into the water when they drank though? Do you have marbles/pebbles in your water bath to prevent drowning accidents? Chicks can get into all sorts of mischief to cause you worry.

7. MillieTu

Mar 5, 2015
    England
    Thank you for the reply :)

I think I will stick with just the 2 I'm wanting to get 2 Silkies in the future so id end up with 6!

In regards to the sneezing is there anything I can give to them now just in case it is an infection, maybe to prevent it from getting any worse

8. rebrascora

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I've just noticed that you are in the UK like me, so many medications and remedies are not so readily available here. I've read quite a few reports about Vet RX, which seems to be a product similar to Vicks Vapour Rub, but for animals, being really helpful for poultry that are suffering with respiratory problems like sneezing and congestion. It is available to buy on Amazon but I was baulking a bit at the price and wondering if Vicks could be used instead. My girls are 2 years old and got it when they were moulting through the winter. One had a particularly hard moult and was without a lot of feathers throughout the coldest weather, so I think she got chilled. They are holding their own and have feathered back in but a couple of them are not on top form. I think if the weather continues to improve, they may pull through it without help, so I'm holding off ordering Vet RX.

It would be great if someone could jump in and say with experience that Vicks works just as well.... or conversely Vet RX is really worth forking out for.... and also in respect of your young chicks.... if it is safe to use on them.

9. rebrascora

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    You could also mix some of their chick crumb to a paste with water and a bit of freshly minced garlic and maybe some scrambled egg and see if that gives them a boost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by