NEWBIE WHO NEEDS YOUR HELP ON THE DEEP LITTER METHOD

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by paulzan09, Jul 28, 2014.

1. paulzan09

paulzan09 Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    I am new to backyard poultry, started in february 2014 here in jacksonville florida. i have 5 hens... 2 plymouth rock, 2 rhode island reds and an araucana. i have an above the ground chicken coop measuring 4x4 ft living space not counting the nest boxes with a big run for my girls. I have been using straw up to now and is about to change the bedding to pine shavings... i have heard that the best and most economical method is to do the deep litter method.... i need a step by step instruction on that... :D my partner chicken enthusiast who is of course my husband said, that method is going to make our coop wood floor rot, is that true? coz i told him that as per what i read, i have to put soil first before the bedding? your answers will be greatly appreciated! :)

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC! There is some good reading on this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/70/deep-litter-method and many others. I too use pine shavings, but I can't stand to leave it more than a few weeks. Even after a second application of pine shavings and a little scratch to encourage the girls to mix it up, I still prefer to strip it bare and start fresh.

Thanks for joining.

3. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I don't use that method, I use sand in my run and Sweet PDZ in the coop. Good luck to you.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I tried the deep litter method and didn't care for it. But it depends on your cleaning habits. I have become a huge fan of sand. It is very easy to clean and maintain, it stays dry when wet, soaks up the poop and there is no odor, no flies, you can hose it down in the summer and keep the birds really cool and it is soft on the pads. Here is a link if you want to read up on sand...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Good luck with your projects and we do welcome you to our flock!

5. paulzan09

paulzan09 Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    i do have sand in my run but has not added food grade DE yet, how much do i put per sq ft of sand? thanks

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I do not put DE in my sand, but you could. You don't a lot of DE as it is sharp in the respiratory system. But if I was going to add it, I would just sprinkle a light coating over the entire area and let the chickens mix it in. You could add more later as it disappears. You might ask this question in our coop and run forums for more input on adding DE...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Pine shavings, straw and shredded paper are all great bedding materials. Sand (in my opinion) , pine needles, hay, cedar shavings and kitty litter are all bad materials.

DE is good at killing parasites attached to chickens.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It seems that people are fairly divided as to pro or con with DE. Personally I've never found it to be any good.

10. Alright hope you are finding everything you need [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by