Newbie...Why do people put golfballs in nest houses???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EGG3435, Dec 27, 2010.

1. EGG3435

EGG3435 New Egg

Dec 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    My girls are only 13 weeks old so maybe they are not interested in their nesting box yet. I saw a picture of someone putting golf balls in the nest. What are the golfballs for?

A pic of my favorite girl Dixie a few days old.
    [​IMG]

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    The golf balls look enough like real eggs to encourage the new pullets to lay in the nest... [​IMG]

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    The golf balls are 'decoy' eggs. They show the chickens where to lay their eggs. Adorable pic, by the way...

4. EGG3435

EGG3435 New Egg

Dec 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks, that is what i thought. when should i put them in the nest? They are 13 weeks old now and have no interest in the nests at all.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:x2

DH put green golf balls in there to encourage our Gold Comets to lay green eggs ... didn't work for some reason [​IMG][​IMG]

6. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    Quote:x2

DH put green golf balls in there to encourage our Gold Comets to lay green eggs ... didn't work for some reason [​IMG][​IMG]

I put neon orange golf balls in the nests and my Orpington hens nearly stripped a gear trying to lay eggs the same colors!!!!

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Mine started laying at 20 weeks. Their combs and wattles will get 'redder' when they are getting ready to lay. I don't think it really matters when you do it or if you even do it at all. It just gives them the idea to lay where you want them to...

8. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Besides encouraging them to lay in the nest, the fake eggs or golf balls also help keep hens from pecking open their own eggs. Egg layers do a lot of beak-tapping in the nest, and a hard fake egg or two can help to discourage them from hammering down hard on stuff in the nest, including real eggs.

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:The earliest a hen will lay is 15 weeks, and Silkies won't typically lay that early. They'll probably lay in the 20-something weeks. Wooden eggs (that aren't hollow) and actual work a lot better. Just make sure to mark them to you don't get them mixed up with the REAL first egg. I'd put them in at 17-18 weeks.

edited for typos

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have 4 nest boxes and made 4 fake eggs out of water putty. They are almost the same color as my chickens eggs - just not quite as perfect. The chickens don't know the difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by