Newbie with 6 eggs, 100% hatch, now complete! *Pics Update*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckluck, Dec 13, 2009.

1. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Well, the RIRs finished up today about an hour ago...though I was told yesterday they might actually be a chicken called Red Comets instead...anyway, all six look good and healthy! One is not a RIR though, not sure what it is...it is black. The lady that gave me the eggs has one black hen, so I am sure that's whose egg that was. These are "working" hens whose sole purpose is providing the family with eggs, so they might not be purebreds. But they provide good hatching experience no matter what they are.

Pics are here! I tried to capture the beak that kept poking out of the hole in the one egg, but our guy in there got stage fright every time I went to snap the photo...and no, pay no attention to the temp on that thermometer, the temp on the Spot Check was at 99.5-99.8 the entire time. I was using that more for the humidity reading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Did the lady you got the eggs from have a barred hen? If so, then the black baby would be a black sex link. (assuming RIR daddy)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oh, and congrats on a great hatch!

5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Congrats!!!!

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]
    Congratulations
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Thanks, everyone!

I'd have to ask her, but I am betting she doesn't know what kind it is...I will ask, though.

8. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    What kind of incubator do you have? I'm kinda in the market. Always used broodies but am wanting to try a bator. Mike [​IMG]

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I hatched this group out with a GQF 1202, which I have on indefinite loan. I just purchased a Humidaire Model 50 incubator and a Model 21H hatcher...working on making space downstairs for that bator and have switches and wafers on order for the hatcher, so they're not ready for the next batch of 16 eggs just yet.

I definitely recommend getting something with a full clear door, which this 1202 has...you won't want to be without it! The humidity pail system would be a definite plus too, especially during lockdown.

10. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Congratulations!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by