Newbie with a 100% fail

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cocotte03, Mar 22, 2017.

1. cocotte03

cocotte03 New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    Hi there, I incubated my first eggs on February 27th. I had 6 quail eggs and 12 chicken eggs. None of them hatched!!! [​IMG]
    I had 2 quail that were fully formed but didn't hatch, and I had 8 chicken eggs that made it to lockdown, one pipped but then died, and the others are still in the bâtir on day 24 because the float test can back viable. I'm leaving them in there until tomorrow.
    I want to try and figure out what I did wrong?!!?
    I did everything I was supposed to. The only thing that I could see that might have caused a problem was that before lockdown I put a non-slip rubber from the dollar store so that the chicks feet wouldn't get stuck in the grill. Could it have been that that evaporated toxins and killed the chicks in their shells?!? Please help!!!! [​IMG]

2. losttexan

losttexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Lubbock, TX
    Do not lose heart - even experienced experts with hundreds of hatches under their belts occasionally have a busted hatch. People think of chick development as a linear function, and get overly-frustrated at late deaths because the chick "just almost made it over the finish line." The reality of the situation is that so many things have to go right for a chick to hatch successfully and hatching is the most difficult thing a chicken does in its entire life.

When you say "pip" do you mean an internal or external pip? Death after an internal pip is often too high humidity. Have you read the hatching primer from Sally Sunshine? It should be required reading and is full of excellent information.

As far as the rubber matting, that's not a bad idea - I do the same thing myself. I suppose outgassed toxins is a possibility. Just to rule it out, I would use food-grade name-brand material (like Rubbermaid) next time and skip the dollar store stuff.

24 days is not unheard of. If you had a good float test, stay optimistic. They just may surprise you. If not, do an egg-topsy and see if you can identify what might have gone wrong. Then get right back in there and do it again until you get your system down.

3. cocotte03

cocotte03 New Egg

Mar 22, 2017

Thank you! [​IMG]
    It was an external pip, I heard it chirp, seen it move around in the egg, and then nothing. When I did an eggtopsy, its beak was not near the pip hole so I think it got stuck trying to zip. I have no idea.
    I will definitely be trying again, and hopefully they will surprise me but no action so far.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    We'd need some answers to help you.
    What kind of incubator are you using, is it still air or forced?
    Have you ever checked the thermometers/hygrometer for accuracy?
    What were your temps and the humidity over the first 17 days?
    Did you monitor your air cells for proper growth?

Personally I wouldn't do quail and chickens together. Quail are such small eggs and chicken eggs usually fair better with low humidity for incubation, which I feel would not benefit the quail.

I use the dollar store rubber shelf liner as well. Have for going on three years now.

The float test isn't a reliable test. Unless the eggs float and move independently, it doesn't tell you anything for certain.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I'm guessing a humidity problem . what kind of incubator are you using,?

6. cocotte03

cocotte03 New Egg

Mar 22, 2017

No I haven't check the thermometer/hygrometer, I just took my brother-in-laws word that it was good.
    I'm using a home made cooler incubator lent to me from my brother-in-law who has had good hatches in it. It's still air.
    Mybhumidity was 45-50% for the first 19!days, and then I bumped it up to 65-70% for the lockdown.
    Yes, the air cells were fine.

7. cocotte03

cocotte03 New Egg

Mar 22, 2017

I'm using a home made cooler incubator.
    My temperature was 100-101, and humidity was 45-50% for the first 18 days, and then I bumped it up to 65-70% for lock down.

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would aim for a lower humidity (for incubation period 1-17) if you're not in a high elevation. Few people have successful hatches above 45%. And temps should be 101-102 at the tops of the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by