Newbie with a case of sour crop-please help me through!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melloladies, Sep 29, 2010.

1. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Hey everyone- I've only had chickens for about 3 months. I got a perfectly healthy 13 month old hen about 3 weeks ago- she was laying at the time. About 2 weeks ago, the hen stopped laying. I attributed this to the stress of the move, and she was in a molt. About 1 week ago, I noticed I hadn't seen her eat from the feeder...still taking treats of scrambled egg and yogurt. I also noticed she would just sit in the coop and sleep...alot...Then she stopped taking the treats two days ago...I was sure there was a problem at this point. This morning, my husband and I managed to grab her (just as she thought she was getting out to free range, the poor thing [​IMG]
    I'm not looking to be redirected to the FAQ sour crop posts, or similar. I've read them. I'm hoping for someone to kind of walk me through this as it is happening.
    In order to be helpful

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    EE, 14 months (almost) no idea of weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Described above- not eating, listless, tail drooping. Still taking water.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    About 1 week since not eating normally.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No, just her.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    nope.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I don't have grit down, and I think maybe she ate some long grass???
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Southern States Layer feed (but not eating it) and plain water.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Super runny, and mostly a clear viscous liquid with yellow mixed in. It almost looks like... a raw egg broken up.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    She's been isolated, on newspaper. Per some of the forums, we drained some of the liquid from her crop by holding her upside down. It was foul smelling and a significant amount. She had no access to food today, and water with OACV. I'm not sure she had any water today.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Would like to treat myself. There isn't an avian vet nearby- Also I think this is common enough that we should be able to handle it.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    I don't. Her crop isn't huge, so I'm not sure it would show in a picture. It just feels like a slightly blown up balloon. A bit squishy. I wasn't sure if it was liquid or gas at first...but liquid is what came out!
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Crate in the garage, lined with newspaper.

I purchased some vitamins "Avitron" is the brand, just from the pet store. It was in the bird section. Haven't given any yet.
    So...my question is have I done the right thing so far? What should I do next?
    I'll prob check on her before I go to bed (10pm) and then again in the AM.
    Any help at all is greatly appreciated. If you need more info- please let me know. I'm relying on my "chickenbook" people to help me and "Giada" through this ordeal!

2. melloladies

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Checked on Giada last night and this morning. She was just standing in her cage, eyes closed trying to sleep. She hardly made a peep and when she did it was a rather pathetic noise. Somewhere between her usual "perp" and a wheeze. Anybody have any suggestions please? I'm not sure I'm helping her with anything I've done so far??? I'm planning to give her some egg yolk today after checking/massaging/possibly draining her crop again.

3. eliss18

eliss18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2008
    hey there,

my chook just currently went through a similar condition.

im not very good at these, but all i can suggest is gently massagign her crop regularly. if she vomits it up i dont think its so bad, as long as you get the liquid in their stomach out. if she isnt eating or drinking go get a no needle syringe and administer water to her through that regularly.

i know you can get antiobiotics in case there is an infection. otherwise i have read the garlic can help. just keeep her hydrated really and massage that crop! if her crop starts to go down you can give her probiotic yoghurt through the needleles syringe for foood and watch to see if it passes through.

thats all the advice i have. mine had the same thing and her crop is now down to a much smaller size though she is still not interested in food or water so i have to administer them myself.

good luck. hope all goes well.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I have a couple of questions - though i am by no means an expert on sour crop.

You said that the first time you drained her crop, it was foul smelling. After some treatment, does it still smell bad?

Also, you didn't mention what you feel in the crop. Do you feel something blocking the passage way through the body?

Another concern: is she still pooping what looks like broken up egg? This could be a sign of another, possibly more serious issue.

5. melloladies

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Thanks Elliss and Punkinpeep!
    Since we drained the liquid from her crop- she's back to eating mild foods- some egg yolk mixed w/water and some ricotta cheese, yogurt, etc. OACV in her water and she's drinking of her own will. She seems better today. We massaged her crop a few times today. Hubs said she burped once or twice. What kind of antibiotics would you use? And how to administer?

Eliss, how long have you been administering food and water to your girl? I think Giada misses her flock mates [​IMG] I can't wait to be able to put her back out with her friends.

To answer your quesions PunkinPeep, the liquid was not as "milky" looking today and not quite as smelly. I'm not sure what the contents of a healthy crop smells like, but it is better than it was. I don't feel any obstruction in her crop- it just felt squishy, like a water balloon. Poo still looks the same- I felt her abdomen, and I don't feel an egg, so I'm not thinking she is ACTUALLY pooing egg... Would that be the possible seperate issue?? I've looked at the poo chart and saw NOTHING like what her droppings resemble. I'm hoping as she gets some more food in her system the droppings will look different.

Thanks again guys,
    I can't say enough how much I appreciate your help!

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    As to the possible egg issue, if that's the case, there will likely be nothing to be done for it. I hope that's not really the problem, but when egg yolks get in the abdomen, they generally promote infection.

Aside from that, for the sour crop, i would follow Speckledhen's instructions exactly. If you haven't read them yet, here they are: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=378303&p=1

I'm
    glad your girl seems to be doing some better.

7. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Okay, I have just subscribed to this topic. I am glad she is feeling better. I will check my new book too for advice.

8. melloladies

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Well- this AM has me feeling less hopeful. Giada looked very down, and she had made a mess of herself sitting on the bottom of her crate. We soaked her in a warm bath, and blow dried her- she did seem to enjoy that. Def no egg action going on. There is no egg shaped anything anywhere. Poor little nugget is just skin and bones and feathers [​IMG]
    We got her to eat a small amount of yogurt. Her crop wasn't gassy this AM, so I got to feel around a bit better, and it feels like a grainy, pliable mass now. She burped again, and it did still smell rather bad. I'm at such a loss...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by