1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie with a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ruckerduck, Jun 18, 2011.

1. ruckerduck

ruckerduck New Egg

Apr 20, 2011
    I've just about finished my coop and I have a few questions:

1 - my roost is 20" off the ground. If my chickens have clipped wings, will they be able to get to the roost without a ramp?

2 - my nest box is 18" off the ground with a 4" lip to keep the nesting material in. Will they need a ramp to get in the nest?

3- my pop door is 13" off the ground. Will I need a ramp inside and outside?

Sorry no pics yet since it is my first post. I've been lurking for quite a while. This site has an amazing amount of information.

Thanks.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

First of all, [​IMG]

And no I don't think they'll need ramps, they should do fine with those height's even with clipped wings.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  3. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Hi, Welcome!

If they are still little when you put them in maybe put a step on the ground in front of the pop door. A concrete block would work.

Your roost is 20", your nest is 18" + 4" lip = 22".

You will have hens roosting on your nest boxes. They will always go to the highest place that they can get to.

4. ruckerduck

ruckerduck New Egg

Apr 20, 2011
    The nesting box is an exterior box with an opening on the inside. Will they still roost on the lip?

5. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    The nesting box is an exterior box with an opening on the inside. Will they still roost on the lip?

If they can. They will always go as high as possible. Just raise your roost 4".​

6. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Hi from NC [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by